Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrub Jays hold "funerals" for their dead

Options
  • 06-09-2012 3:41am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://news.discovery.com/animals/birds-hold-avian-funerals-for-their-dead-120905.html

No joke, I once saw what I can only describe as a pigeon funeral myself. I really wish I had my camera at the moment. :(

Also, the article mentions that giraffes are thought to hold ceremonies for their dead. First time I read that. Anyone knows more about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Loads of animals mourn their dead elephants do it and will often stay beside the deceased elephant for days
    Wolves do it with alphas also
    They will howl for hours over it
    African hunting dogs aswell
    Chimps and gorillas
    Mainly close family bonded packs/herds will do it
    Dogs do it with their owners

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Loads of animals mourn their dead elephants do it and will often stay beside the deceased elephant for days
    Wolves do it with alphas also
    They will howl for hours over it
    African hunting dogs aswell
    Chimps and gorillas
    Mainly close family bonded packs/herds will do it
    Dogs do it with their owners

I know when one of my cats died, the others were really upset which is strange because when they saw the dead body they didn´t seem to think anything about it, yet for the next days they would cry and search for the other cat and were in a very bad mood/nervous mood for weeks.
    Makes me think they probably don´t understand death like we do but they do miss those who are gone.

I didn´t know about wolves and wild dogs, BTW, care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

Very interesting article thanks for the link.

So am I right in thinking the birds basically mob the deceased in order to draw attention to it and warn others of a potential danger?

Can see how this behaviour could have developed further in social mammals to strengthen group bonds.

Advertisement