Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great white sharks attack live whales

Options
  • 06-09-2012 2:34am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not much of a surprise I guess, and not exactly news, but interesting, I thought.

http://rightwhales.neaq.org/2012/04/new-publication-sharks-predate-on.html

I remember watching a rather gruesome video in which a weakened adult whale was eaten alive by tiger sharks. I think it was on French or German television, don´t remember clearly...

Also, does anyone know if more details have surfaced about the great white's deep-sea hunting "expeditions"?

http://phys.org/news187598410.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The great white is probably the best headline getter when talking about sharks that attack large mammals, but I think the likes of the Greenland shark (which has been found with remains of dolphin, seal, porpoise, polar bear, and reindeer in it), six gill shark, and the Pacific sleeper shark would all be capable of attacking a young or injured/old whale.

All have the size to do serious damage to larger prey, and all have been known to have fed on smaller cetaceans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Don´t forget the tiger shark.

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Don´t forget the tiger shark.

The article was about attacks on North Atlantic Right whales so I stuck with the three other species of shark in the Northern hemisphere that would match the Great white for size and that also had been found with the remains of mammals in their stomachs.

The Tiger would indeed be worthy of consideration in more southern waters and does have for killing and eating dolphin as well as munching on dead whales.

Ending up watching Jaws on blu ray today after seeing this thread. For anyone with a blu ray player, go buy it. The film is as fantastic as ever, but now it has picture and sound quality that adds to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Good to hear. I had been wondering how Jaws would hold up on BluRay (as sometimes old films look a bit shoddy in HD). Saw it in the cinema upon its reissue. So nice to see it on the big screen! :D

Galvasean wrote: »
    Good to hear. I had been wondering how Jaws would hold up on BluRay (as sometimes old films look a bit shoddy in HD). Saw it in the cinema upon its reissue. So nice to see it on the big screen! :D

Yep went to see it on the big screen this year as well. I first saw it in the 80's and it is just one of those near perfect films. Looks fantastic for the most part on blu ray. Skin tones are good, picture is crystal clear for most of the film. A few minor quibbles, but probably a 4.5 out of 5 for pic quality which is pretty good for a 37 year old film.

• Advertisement
Advertisement