Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilco

Options
  • 05-09-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

It's been long enough - tell me where to start, and where to continue.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Yankee Foxtrot Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

start with uncle tupelo they were better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and then Summerteeth

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

my favourite band of all time, as to where to start, god knows, Yankee is a masterpiece but as a jumping in point.. my first Wilco record was Summerteeth, . amazing band, live .... unreal, the Vicar St gigs will go down as legend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jaysus.

I'd say go with Yankee. Then A Ghost is Born. The only one i;d avoid til last is maybe Sky Blue Sky. Never did it for me as an album.

If you want some basic Alt/Country songs then go to Uncle Tupelo - they're grand but they're no Wilco.

But as someone said check out their live show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

I'd say Summerteeth to start. It's a great album and their best from the period when they were considered alt county. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born are essential in my opinion but not great starting points as they could be considered a bit experimental.

Don't forget about the Billy Bragg & Wilco "Mermaid Avenue" stuff too. There's a 3 volume cd out at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Ranelite

They're all different! Start at the start. Being There, Sweummerteeth. Ghost is Born and Sky Blue Sky best I think. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is weird in places and hard to digest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Kicking Television - Live in Chicago
    DVD - Ashes of American Flags. This is well worth your money!
    Latest album, self titled, is good too. Nels Cline is a legend
    I was at one of the Vicar Street gigs. One of the best gigs I've been to....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Start at Summerteeth,then go back to Being There and forward to YHF

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Kicking Television the live double album captures them well. I think Sky Blue Sky is a better album than people give credit for. It is full of solos but they are great solos. Impossible Germany has one of the great guitar solos of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

allprops wrote: »
    Kicking Television the live double album captures them well. I think Sky Blue Sky is a better album than people give credit for. It is full of solos but they are great solos. Impossible Germany has one of the great guitar solos of all time.

x100. It's the first album with Nels Cline who is a sublime guitar player

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think whatever you pick up first.. Ultimately you will be hooked, I think sometimes they don't get the credit they could be due as lauded as they are they generally as a band march to the beat of their own drum as it were and they tend to piss some folks off along the way for doing just that nd not sticking to a forumla or satisfying via the predictable but history will show the slow learners what a lot of us know that Wilco have been as something special in our lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I love Wilco

Advertisement