Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My iMac won't recognise additional Ram???

Options
  • 05-09-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'd really appreciate if you could help me. I have an iMac with the following spec.
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac
    Model Identifier: iMac5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM52.0090.B09
    SMC Version: 1.6f0

It currently is running on 1 GB, I wanted to add a second GB in order to upgrade my OS to Snow Leopard version 10.6.3 and beyond. Previously all was going well with the iMac eg I could use Skype etc until my son upgraded the software on his iPhone 4.

I phoned Apple, was advised the module I would require and also purchased the Snow leopard OS.

I fitted the additional module of ram, but it still wont recognise it? I swopped the modules around, and it is recognising each module just not the pair. I got back on to Apple and they cant help me because they tell me I have one too many digits in the Serial no of my iMac, so they can't advise me further!!!

It bugs me that I went to the extra expense of purchasing the memory directly from Apple, and now they won't assist me in upgrading the memory.

I just removed both from the iMac and the detail is : MT8HTF12864HZ 667 HI 1GB1RX8 PC2-5300S-555-13-80

I checked carefully and both are exactly the same

Any advice or assistance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

T

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple won't help with Hardware upgrades etc, over the phone as they can't see what you are doing. That's since they started Tech Support in Cork over 10 years ago. If you find it's not working, they will replace it for you, but it seems like its the RAM slot that may be at fault? If it is you can return AppleStore purchases with 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

Oh dear, the 14 days has well and truly passed... will I just bring it to an approved Apple repairer or am I at the loss of the price of the ram & new OS ??? :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Twiggy69 wrote: »
    Oh dear, the 14 days has well and truly passed... will I just bring it to an approved Apple repairer or am I at the loss of the price of the ram & new OS ??? :(

Is it a case that both sticks will work in one slot, and neither stick will work in the other? If that is the case the slot is knackered, and I presume it would be a case of replacing the motherboard, which probably wouldn't be worth it. You could ring CompuB or one of the repair centres around and tell them what has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

Have you tried running a hardware test? https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Advertisement