Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOTS Beta is now live

Options
  • 05-09-2012 11:30am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seen a couple of videos of the Beta by HuskyStarcraft.

Any thoughts on the new expansion/version?

Personally I'm looking to a bit of variation from bio by Terran players. Am a bit wary of the Widow mines, Oracle, Tempest and Swarm Host.

And being a douche I am looking forward to more reaper plays!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

strangely its some of the strange basic changes that has me curious (the workers auto mining at start, the number at each hatch/extractor being shown, not being able to click on enemy units etc)

surprised the mothership core is now free moving now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    strangely its some of the strange basic changes that has me curious (the workers auto mining at start, the number at each hatch/extractor being shown, not being able to click on enemy units etc)

surprised the mothership core is now free moving now.

yeah, those are quite significant changes even from videos online from a 1-2 months ago.

I like to be able to check up on opponents upgrades, especially in TvT it can let me know I have the edge and should engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭brimur69

:D Just finished downloading the Beta. Time to check out these new units!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭brimur69

This is very strange altogether! As well as was mentioned above the workers will stop mining and chase an enemy unit if they are attacked :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Check out stephano playing the beta.

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Stephano

He is making the swarm hosts seem crazy imba

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Briefly watched some stuff Husky uploaded last night and whilst he's hardly GM level, he was able to build most units to get a look.

I too am most curious about the "mechanic" changes. Worker AI is one of those things that's sort of logical but makes a big change to the game. Not being able to click opponent units is a strange decision, it's really going to hamper the "check their upgrades to decide if I push or not" as Tenger said. I'll probably watch a few streams from pros to see what they're doing with it.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Briefly watched some stuff Husky uploaded last night and whilst he's hardly GM level, he was able to build most units to get a look.

I too am most curious about the "mechanic" changes. Worker AI is one of those things that's sort of logical but makes a big change to the game. Not being able to click opponent units is a strange decision, it's really going to hamper the "check their upgrades to decide if I push or not" as Tenger said. I'll probably watch a few streams from pros to see what they're doing with it.

You can turn that off in the options. Its a noob friendly option to make micro easier. I watched those Husky videos and they're fairly painful to watch to be honest. You can really see the true potential of some units in the hands of better players.

From what I've seen the protoss units are rubbish. Tempest does hardly any damage (although has a ton of potential with its range), Oracle is made out of papier-mâché and doesn't seem to affect the resource graph at all. Haven't seen the mothership core being used really, the early-mid game recall has huge potential I think.

I think Oracle harassment will be a big thing that'll force early viking/muta/pheonix to counter and remembering to zap mineral lines with it every X seconds will be the key to making it work so there's a sustained harassment period. I don't see Marines/Stalkers being effective enough if it's a map with a big gap the Oracle can just retreat into. Tempests don't appear to do a lot of damage, but being able to do it from so far away with either an Observer or pre-ordain does balance that somewhat.

From what I saw one cannon/spore/turret shuts down oracle harass. They have 20 shields and 80 health. The oracle will take roughly 3 shots froma cannon in one harass run. Thats the shields gone and half its health. Another one like that and its dead. Add in a stalker/marine/queen and its even harder. It also costs 200 gas. Even the mining they stop is almost negligible (not entirely sure about this). Getting a few phoenix that actually does real damage seems far more cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

From what I saw last night, Watched a good bit of Demuslim and Steph, and Demuslim pretty much went warhound, hellion and those shielded marines against everything with some vikings and wiped the floor with everything.

Protoss are ****ed....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the fact that observers and enemy players can see the range of a scan is ****ing unbelievable

blizzard do not have a clue what they are doing

the fact that observers and enemy players can see the range of a scan is ****ing unbelievable
    Must say I do not like that element of gameplay, better to leave dodging scans to be a skill learned with experience.

Similarly the workers auto-attack will lessen the impact of Shift-queued drop plays. In low levels (where I live) 2 medevacs on shift command to drop on mineral lines as i push his front to distract can do a lot of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

What POSSIBLE difference does workers automining at the start make to anything?

The numbers of workers mining can only be a good thing also.

Dustaz wrote: »
    What POSSIBLE difference does workers automining at the start make to anything?

The numbers of workers mining can only be a good thing also.

why not have an auto split hotkey for marines too to protect against banelings
    or ghosts will automatically emp when they get in range of an energy unit
    the game could take a look at the units you're currently making and once a production cycle ends could automatically start the next round of production
    if you accidentally happen to put 5 workers in gas, the gfame will take 2 of them out and put them on minerals for you

this is supposed to be a competetive game of skill, good macro is something that is meant to be learned and worked on not just read off the screen

Ah gotta love the creative time we have in front of us

ibtmfIaY1rXUZV.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

why not have an auto split hotkey for marines too to protect against banelings
    or ghosts will automatically emp when they get in range of an energy unit
    the game could take a look at the units you're currently making and once a production cycle ends could automatically start the next round of production
    if you accidentally happen to put 5 workers in gas, the gfame will take 2 of them out and put them on minerals for you

this is supposed to be a competetive game of skill, good macro is something that is meant to be learned and worked on not just read off the screen

Are you really trying to compare the 5 workers starting to mine automatically at the start of the game to auto-emp'ing?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Haven't watched but from what a buddy has told me HOTS sounds like it's dumbing SC2 down quite a bit. What a shame :/

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭VikingErik

I'm going to make a controversial statement: Fungal growth should affect ground only units. Fungal+invested marines is too strong a counter to air, especially if hydras are thrown into the mix now that they are a useful unit again. Between fungal and abduct Protoss (in particular) cannot justify going air, even with that tempest range (too expensive and too little dps).

I see a lot of people getting their observers sniped. I've yet to see someone use hallucinate to gain vision for the tempest.

Of course, like so many people out there I don't really know what I'm talking about, it's just my opinion.

Well when I learnt about the collapsible rocks I wondered could that be used in a damage dealing way...........help is at hand:
    Destiny Defending with Collapsible Rocks - Heart of the Swarm HOTS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6cl0_UzqY&feature=g-all-u

I watched Day[9] and Sheth playing last night and whilst there's a lot of goofing off and Day[9] forgetting to use his Mothership Core properly all the time, it's pretty clear that Swarm Hosts are now an absolute must-have unit for any Zerg. They're definitely OP though, I'd like the idea of the locusts just dying after getting out of range of the Host as well as after X seconds to try and balance it a bit.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    ........it's pretty clear that Swarm Hosts are now an absolute must-have unit for any Zerg. They're definitely OP though,......
    Warhounds seem that way too. However I'm sure the finished balance will be a bit different. Will be interesting to see what tweaks they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't know why they don't just leave carriers in the game. As long as they're not OP they're not doing any harm. Meanwhile I can use them for, ya know, fun.

They're great craic in monobattles.:p

As for making mech more viable with WHs.. they seem to completely break it in PvT.

I wish they'd get air working first.
    It'd be nice if there were some air-heavy builds that worked for P or T.

Something that might make the tempest a bit better - make them instant hit units as opposed to projectiles. Even make the shot look like a lightning bolt - in keeping with the name.

I suppose this is why there's a beta. It's probably better that somethings completely broken now - makes it easier to fix.

well its not just balance it's design.. just look at the warhound

what can you do with that unit?
    it's the definition of box, a-move
    i suppose if you have godly apm and multitasking you can pull back weakened warhounds in a fight, but honestly I just don't know if anyone will ever be good enough to do that consistently

i suppose if you have godly apm and multitasking you can pull back weakened warhounds in a fight, but honestly I just don't know if anyone will ever be good enough to do that consistently

Mech isn't that micro heavy.
    In toss death ball you might have to manage blink, FF and Psi Storm.

Mech has tank crawling, deploying battle helions. Maybe moving vikings around if you need them.

Shouldn't be too difficult to have to micro the haywire missiles.
    Even so, they're kinda boring. Can't see a way to fix them - they're just bad units on a conceptual level.

This is what WhiteRa's solution seems to be:

It's a great game well worth watching.
    Basically he just macro's Ourk to death.

So all a toss has to do is be way better than his opponent.:rolleyes:

WTF!!!!

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6571787498
    Zerg
    Swarm Host
    The locust’s attack range has decreased from 3 to 2.

Terran
    Warhound
    This unit has been removed from the game.

Reaper
    We have added a new passive ability called Combat Awareness.
    This allows reapers to see up cliffs.

Hellion
    Battle hellions can now be built from the Factory. It has an Armory requirement.
    There is a new upgrade at the Armory that will allow transformation between Battle Mode and Normal Mode.

Widow Mine
    We have removed the Armory requirement.

Protoss
    Oracle
    We have removed the oracle’s Preordain ability.
    We have added a new area of effect ability for the oracle called Phase Shield.
    Targeted friendly units are shielded from harmful effects for 5 seconds.
    Fungal Growth, Corruption, Contaminate, Graviton Beam, Concussive Shells, Abduct, Revelation, Vortex, and 250mm Strike Cannons – Phase Shield removes the effect and prevents units from being affected.
    EMP – Phase Shield removes the anti-cloaking effect but not the damage dealt.
    Neural Parasite – Phase Shield will not remove this effect but it will prevent units from being affected.
    The energy upgrade has been removed.
    Entomb’s duration has been reduced to 25 sec, but the health per Entomb has increased to 100.
    The cost per unit has changed from 150/200 to 150/150.

Tempest
    The attack range has been reduced from 22 to 15.
    The damage has changed from 30 to 30 + 20 to massive.
    The ranged upgrade has been removed.

Mothership Core / Mothership
    Recall will now cost 100 energy.
    The mothership core will now start with 50 energy and when upgraded, energy will be set back to 50.
    The range of Purifier Beam has been increased from 7 to 10.

Carrier
    This unit has returned to the game.

aye

one of the few things about sc2 lately that gives me a bit of hope. they took the warhound out to redesign it, possibly even remove it.

that's ballsy enough that you have to give them some credit

also carriers back, lol

that does kinda make them look like they havent a clue what they're doing... so their credit clearly wasnt very good

or.. my credit wasnt very good

i dont know,there's reason i dropped out of accountancy

Tenger wrote: »
    WTF!!!!

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6571787498
    Zerg
    Swarm Host
    The locust’s attack range has decreased from 3 to 2.
    [...]

Carrier
    This unit has returned to the game.

That is an utterly massive change.
    I'm seriously impressed at their gumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

M
    K
    P

SeantheMan wrote: »
    M
    K
    P

I think he was being sarcastic about that point since its the most basic kind of micro in any RTS game, and its the only kind of micro available to the warhound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

when is public release or chance to play HOS ?

Advertisement