Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8200s and 2700s up for sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Link wrote:
    A well proven class of 1.5kv DC (overhead) commuter EMU, built in 2000 by Alsthom.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Well proven to do nothing I should say

Note that the photo's are taken while the units are new, with the 2700s in the arrow livery, though weirdly distorted. No mention of the corridors being stripped out either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

looks as if they had to disguise their origin or werent allowed use current liveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the 8200s? well proven? meh. lets say an operator is interested, wouldn't they actually want to send over a representitive to see the units? can't see any buyers for either to be honest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

So are 2751-2753 included or not? :pac:

So are 2751-2753 included or not?

i don't actually know, the site suggests not (unless of course their included as 1 2 car unit) theirs a brochure which can be downloaded, that might reveal whether their included or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

So are 2751-2753 included or not? :pac:
    i don't actually know, the site suggests not (unless of course their included as 1 2 car unit) theirs a brochure which can be downloaded, that might reveal whether their included or not

The downloadable brochure has details of the multi cabs so I assume that they are for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Well the worst kept Irish rail secret is now public, but the question is who in god's name would be interested? 2700s are ok-ish, the caveat being when only used in 2 car sets. 8200s are heaps of junk. I see no mention in the alsthom brochure that, though the units may be 12 years old, their level of usage reflects nothing like this number.

Wouldn't be surprised (if a bit saddened) to see these units meet their fate with a cutters torch in north wall or inchicore. Can't see too many being interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The funny thing is that the 8200's are the electric cousins to the 2700 diesels in that they were developed by Alstom. The door opening mechanism is almost identical bar the buttons on the doors themselves. Even the interior frames (minus the seats) are made with the exact same parts. Essentially the design of the 8200's is largely based on the 2700 DMUs. The rock hard seats of the 8200's were far from being a popular choice.

Nevertheless, it is hilarious that both adverts describe each set of units as a "well proven class". If this is the case, are they still suitable for service? If so, why are they being given away?:confused:

Otherwise, another type of customer (the prospective company which may acquire the units) is being told a porky pie!:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Well Holy God! What's wrong with sticking them on Donedeal?

The other thing likely to put off potential buyers is 'small fleet syndrome' - I.e. the relative small size of both the 2700 and 8200 fleet.

Any idea why the agent has changed the livery around in the brochure pics? Perhaps word on the rail grapevine that both fleets ain't the most reliable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

newmug wrote: »

"first to see will buy, will fly through NCT"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

corktina wrote: »
    "first to see will buy, will fly through NCT"

There's an NCT for railway carriages?;)

I wish Irish Rail the best of luck with this!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

An interested buyer could solve the splitting problem by replacing the end Scharfenbergs with similar semipermanent couplers to the ones used intra-set sufficient to make up 4 or 6 car sets.

Don't think the ad mentions the need for most/all the 2700 cars to get a serious overhaul, does it?

Any ideas how much a unit would fetch? Presumably the agent wouldn't quote for units in isolation but as part of an overall order?

From memory weren't the 8200s bought at somewhere in the region of €4m per set? Would be interested to see how much these yokes would expect to command these days (presuming someone is interested) - non standard bogies and a chequered history of reliability would surely not inspire confidence to a potential buyer

The 8200s were moved from Fairview to Inchicore this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The Mk3s were "for sale" too. I suspect the breakers yard for the 8200s once "the market has been tested"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Karsini wrote: »
    The 8200s were moved from Fairview to Inchicore this morning.

2 sets were moved there on Thursday by a 29. One set (8204/8404) will have to be scrapped as it is in a very bad way and is missing a lot of parts that were used on the other sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

newmug wrote: »

Might make good garden sheds/chicken houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There are photos up from RSI site on Smugmug show some movements at Pearse and Connolly Station looking at 4 carriages of the 8200 class going up towards Inchicore.

The graffiti is still on them though. I thought they would be cleaned at Fairview?

http://transportsceneireland.smugmug.com/RailSceneIreland/RSI-September-2012/25263008_x4k6jG#!i=2094822424&k=h67JLG2

There are photos up from RSI site on Smugmug show some movements at Pearse and Connolly Station looking at 4 carriages of the 8200 class going up towards Inchicore.

The graffiti is still on them though. I thought they would be cleaned at Fairview?

http://transportsceneireland.smugmug.com/RailSceneIreland/RSI-September-2012/25263008_x4k6jG#!i=2094822424&k=h67JLG2

A rather ignominious end for a stock purchase that was pretty ill thought out and should never have been made.

Is the plan to stable the fleet at inchicore indefinitely until disposal? By the looks of things the Fairview locals weren't overly kind to them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Millem wrote: »
    A rather ignominious end for a stock purchase that was pretty ill thought out and should never have been made.

Is the plan to stable the fleet at inchicore indefinitely until disposal? By the looks of things the Fairview locals weren't overly kind to them :(

Well set 1 has been in Inchicore for at least 3 years as far as I know. Set 4 is basically just a shell. They did a mix job with sets 3 and 5, mixed and matched the power and trailer cars around for some reason while set 2 seems ok'ish. They did test trails with them in 2010 to return 2 sets to service but never happened.

Basically the 27 2700s and 10 8200s will wait at Inchicore until the cutters torch gets to them. Along the the 90 odd Mk3s that's a lot of scrapping to be done this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They've misspelt Alstom ! It's not "A well proven class of 1.5kv DC (overhead) commuter EMU, built in 2000 by Alsthom."

Solair wrote: »
    They've misspelt Alstom ! It's not "A well proven class of 1.5kv DC (overhead) commuter EMU, built in 2000 by Alsthom."

I noticed that the builder's plate in the 2700s says GEC Alsthom rather than Alstom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Karsini wrote: »
    I noticed that the builder's plate in the 2700s says GEC Alsthom rather than Alstom.

Woops!

Seems it dropped the H in 1998.

Solair wrote: »
    Woops!

Seems it dropped the H in 1998.

Yep, just saw that myself. Was wondering why it was there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 haulage.basher

Jesus. Whatever about the 2700s but the 8200s were only built in 2000. Is it not an absolute mindboggling disgrace and a waste of money to scrap them. I mean they are still very very new in railway stock terms. The 2700s are even not considered old at all.

I'm sure they have not even payed for themselves in 7 years.

Surely if the reliability of the sets was so bad to the extent they had to be withdrawn, IE would be entitled to a least a partial refund or credit from Alstom on the basis that the sets were unfit of intended use. No?

Jesus. Whatever about the 2700s but the 8200s were only built in 2000. Is it not an absolute mindboggling disgrace and a waste of money to scrap them. I mean they are still very very new in railway stock terms. The 2700s are even not considered old at all.

I'm sure they have not even payed for themselves in 7 years.

Surely if the reliability of the sets was so bad to the extent they had to be withdrawn, IE would be entitled to a least a partial refund or credit from Alstom on the basis that the sets were unfit of intended use. No?

indeed but this is Irish Rail we're talking about, waste is nothing new or unexpected here...

the 2700s and 8200s have been removed from that website, wonder are they bound for the cutting torch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the 2700s and 8200s have been removed from that website, wonder are they bound for the cutting torch?
    They probably found some nasty fault that leaves them only for for scrap, but more seriously, they were quite old anyway so it's likely there were not enough offers if indeed there were any at all.

• Advertisement

they were not old in the slightest. I wonder if any of the societies will offer a Euro to IE for one?

Advertisement