Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I apply for BTEA in this case?

Options
  • 05-09-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

A FETAC Level 5 course at a secondary school

- I'm out of education for more than 2 years
    - Between the ages of 18-20 (I'm 20)

Or does it only apply to the Leaving Cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

As long as it is a full time course and you also have been on a Jobseekers payment for at least 3 months,(78 days), you could apply as soon as you have obtained a place on the course.

1.7 Second Level Option (SLO)
    A person may attend a full time second level course of education at any Community, Comprehensive, Secondary, Vocational school or Institute of Technology with which the Department of Education have a funding relationship. The course being pursued must be a full-time day course of study and lead to a qualification that is:

recognised by the Department of Education & Skills,
    awarded by the Further Education and Training Awards Council (FETAC)
    Examples of the type of courses covered are:

Junior Certificate
    Leaving Certificate ( Repeat LC maybe allowed for persons who are at least 23 years of age on the 1st January of the year of re-entry)
    Post-Leaving Certificate (PLC)
    Foundation/Access courses at Universities or Institutes of Technology. Some colleges offer such courses with FETAC award. Other colleges will have "in house" award i.e. Certificate is awarded by college.
    Further Education and Training Awards Council (FETAC) awards
    Business & Technology Education Council (BTEC) awards
    Vocational Education Committee i.e. VEC awards its own certification
    In addition to existing Access/Foundation courses, approval may be given to preparatory 3rd level courses of at least 18 week’s duration requiring full-time commitment and conferring a Special Purpose Award of a minimum of 30 credits that accumulate towards the student’s chosen third level qualification. Second Level courses in the UK and Northern Ireland may also be approved provided they lead to a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ).

Advertisement