Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends father passed away

Options
  • 05-09-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, sorry, I wasn't sure where else to post this. I found out this afternoon that my friends father passed away on Sunday. The funeral is in the morning but I have no way of getting to the funeral and I feel absolutely awful thinking about it. I'm devastated for her and feel so guilty that I won't be there to comfort her.

I called her today to give my condolences. I've spent the whole day thinking about her and her family and the problem is I have no idea what I can say or do to help her because I know it's not going to make it better... but it's eating me apart knowing what she's going through right now, and that I can't even begin to imagine her pain....How do I comfort her? I knew as soon as I called her that she wasn't up for talking for too long but I told her that i was there if she needed anything at all. But beyond that, I have no idea what to do. Part of me feels like I should give the family some time to grief and wait until after the funeral and sent a mass card as I can't be there in person but another part of me feels awful for not being able to attend... How do I help her get through this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi there, I really think you have done all that you can OP:). I had a friend that couldn't attend my Dad's funeral, she rang me to explain, and I really appreciated it. Just to know that you are in someone's thoughts means the world, as in reality, there is nothing anyone can do to take away your pain. The first week or so after losing someone is so surreal, as you are caught up in funeral arrangements etc, you are on automatic pilot. I found it was after this that I really needed the support of a friend. Send a card, and maybe a text in a few days, just to reiterate that you are there for her. I'm sure it will be much appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

You have contacted her and thats all you can do if possible arrange to meet her in the next few weeks she will appreciate this and it will be good for her to have someone to talk too.

Advertisement