Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"free fees" dropping out uk

Options
  • 04-09-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this - sorry for that. I'm currently at university in england and am thinking of dropping out and applying to ireland. I read that you don't get free fees if you drop out, however am unsure if this is only if you drop out in ireland and apply to another irish uni. Can anyone tell me if I am void for free fees if I drop out in the uk and apply via cao? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Citizens information seems to say that you don't qualify for free fees.
    You must also fulfil all of the following 3 course requirements:

You must be undertaking a full-time undergraduate course of at least 2 years' duration (or certain shorter courses in institutes of technology).
    You must be a first-time full-time undergraduate.
    In general, you must not be repeating the year because of failing your exams or changing course. This exclusion may be waived if you repeat a year due to certified serious illness. There are also some exceptions for students in institutes of technology who are switching courses.

You might however qualify for the EU Rate of fees for however many years you've already attended college though. Then it would revert to free fees. So if you've already attended 1 year of college in the UK, you'd only have to pay the EU Rate for your 1st year and then the other 3 would qualify for free fees.
    If you do not qualify for free fees you may still be eligible for EU fee rates if you:

Fulfil one of the 6 citizenship and residence rights criteria listed above but do not fulfil all of the 3 course requirements listed above

• Registered Users Posts: 36 icelime

This is so confusing. Surely if the only course you've attended is in another country you haven't yet availed of the free tuition fees you're entitled to, so you should qualify? Maybe I'm oversimplifying. I'm not sure about England, but I went to university in the North a number of years ago, and tuition fees are covered there by their local library board. So the government haven't contributed to the previous tuition at all, but I'm not entitled to the first time free fees here that everyone else is? Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to make sense!

Advertisement