Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spot the dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

is that a vw steering wheel thats fitted dont look like it
    but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Black with white spots or white with black?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭chevyv8

just a guess, drivers door interior is white. steering wheel..

The steering wheel's standard for that car, that's the Wolfsburg crest on it. The car was white, but has been painted black. AFAIK (and here's my inner nerd coming out) the blue interior wasn't available with black bodywork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

jimf wrote: »
    is that a vw steering wheel thats fitted dont look like it
    but i could be wrong

Steering wheel is correct for this car.

I had this exact year/model of Golf as my first car. Reg 954 UZL.

I can see by the door it had a respray at some time though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Black on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Its not a grey estate........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

No such thing as a MK1 Golf estate, its just the laziness of the motor tax office staff that has most older cars in the wrong category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

The Golf mentioned here was resprayed black, nothing unusual in that, it was quite common to spray just the outside of the car for cost reasons a few years back.

It looks OK to me, I think it's an OK price as well for the car although no NCT is mentioned. If I bought it, I'd budget in a new respray which will only add to the cars looks and value over the years. Golf MK1's of that year tend to be very reliable and solid, it's a weak enough engine, about 50 bhp IIRC but it would make a nice daily driver.

No such thing as a MK1 Golf estate, its just the laziness of the motor tax office staff that has most older cars in the wrong category.

....and new ones too. I imported a camper van, paid over €1600 to VRT it and it came back as Make: Camper Model: LHD. :mad: Went to complain and was told that there was "nothing they could do". Muppets. I wouldn't like to get stopped in Switzerland, Austria or a number of other countries with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

well i like it anyway! Whwer else are you going to get an irish mk1 golf that hasn't had some form ofboy racer add ons at this stage, nice honest looking basic golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Anan1 wrote: »
    The steering wheel's standard for that car, that's the Wolfsburg crest on it. The car was white, but has been painted black. AFAIK (and here's my inner nerd coming out) the blue interior wasn't available with black bodywork.

I'd have said silver grey as it's original colour, the reg plates look like Quinn/Radiator Services originals but with letters painted silver.
    Otherwise nice original Formel E Golf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Judging solely by the pictures and description I think calling it a dog just because of a respray is a little unfair to the owner . If you called it a dog after viewing it that would be a different story.

Capri wrote: »
    I'd have said silver grey as it's original colour, the reg plates look like Quinn/Radiator Services originals but with letters painted silver.
    Otherwise nice original Formel E Golf ;)
    I think you might be right. And i'm all the more embarrassed because we had a silver Mk1 with blue interior in the family!
    bbsrs wrote: »
    Judging solely by the pictures and description I think calling it a dog just because of a respray is a little unfair to the owner . If you called it a dog after viewing it that would be a different story.
    I thought it was because Spot the dog was black and white - not sure now whether I was overthinking the whole thing..

Anan1 wrote: »
    .I thought it was because Spot the dog was black and white - not sure now whether I was overthinking the whole thing..

Or maybe I was under thinking it , didn't think of it that way. Maybe cleverly ambiguous by the OP. either way I can't see it as a dog or a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I don't see any dogs but I do see a rabbit ;)

Having been in the spraying line before, I was wondering WHY anyone would do such a job on a car that had so much internal painted metal without going the whole hog ??
    The only innocent reason I can think of is a priest was given the car and decided to get it done in 'Clerical black' back in the day when they used to do that :P
    Otherwise it could be hiding something such as ......:cool:

The only innocent reason I can think of is a priest was given the car :P

Or the Gardai were looking for a silver Golf seen hanging around playgrounds...;)

While we're talking ruff-ruff, 'Here Rover!'

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3849638

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3855381

Looks like the dog was given the camera to take the shots :D:D

Looks like "first come first served" as regards the box of bits...........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭twebb

In fairness, I have looked at those photos a few times and read the replies. I really can't see any reason to call that car a 'dog'. I'd like to point out I don't have any connection to the car or the owner, nor do I know too much about Golfs, but it seems that lately this forum has turned into something of a knitting circle, with people very quick to cast aspersions, particularly when such aspersions appear to be completely groundless. This is not the only thread which seems to have the same tones over the last few months.....
    I really would have thought it should be about all things classic car related, and not about, for want of a better word, gossiping and curtain twitching.
    Now for the seemingly compulsory smiley...

• Advertisement

The Golf is getting to be a classic age-wise , but my question was FOR WHAT REASON was the colour changed so drastically , and if so could there be other issues with the same car - would YOU like to buy something and then find out there were issues with it.
    This forum praises clean motors that are good value but theres an awful lot of tat out there being sold as 'Classics' after a wash and a bit of black shultz strategically applied , and we seem to be getting a dumping ground for UK MoT failures !
    Sometimes 'knitting circles' have uses !

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

twebb wrote: »
    In fairness, I have looked at those photos a few times and read the replies. I really can't see any reason to call that car a 'dog'. I'd like to point out I don't have any connection to the car or the owner, nor do I know too much about Golfs, but it seems that lately this forum has turned into something of a knitting circle, with people very quick to cast aspersions, particularly when such aspersions appear to be completely groundless. This is not the only thread which seems to have the same tones over the last few months.....
    I really would have thought it should be about all things classic car related, and not about, for want of a better word, gossiping and curtain twitching.
    Now for the seemingly compulsory smiley...

I couldnt agree more. This really is a new low, starting threads on individual cars that are advertised just to have a bitch about a paint job. I mean really, its just an old golf at small money.

The Golf is getting to be a classic age-wise , but my question was FOR WHAT REASON was the colour changed so drastically , and if so could there be other issues with the same car - would YOU like to buy something and then find out there were issues with it.
    This forum praises clean motors that are good value but theres an awful lot of tat out there being sold as 'Classics' after a wash and a bit of black shultz strategically applied , and we seem to be getting a dumping ground for UK MoT failures !
    Sometimes 'knitting circles' have uses !

Yes but without firsthand knowledge of a car it's not fair to criticise it unless the asking price is crazy or it's obviously described untruthfully and in this case it's neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

I couldnt agree more. This really is a new low, starting threads on individual cars that are advertised just to have a bitch about a paint job. I mean really, its just an old golf at small money.

Ciarancapri,

I dont think that this thread was motivated for the purpose of "bitching" about the paint job of the car in question.
    Before ever reading this thread, I had looked at the ad and wondered what reasoning or motivation could have been behind the sprayjob that the Golf had received.
    The most common reason (by a long shot) is unfortunately the one that we are all too familiar with.

Might not be a dog .... but maybe a pup.

Chill out lads, i'm pretty confident that it was a joke!

Advertisement