Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Machine missing previous backups

Options
  • 04-09-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

I had a hard drive incident a couple of months ago on my imac & needed to wipe the boot drive. I used it as an opportunity to upgrade to ML.

I just checked time machine & my backups are now only dated back to the 30th July (when it happened) & I can see nothing previous to this.

Is it all gone ?

Also, the time machine icon in finder appears to have disappeared, not sure if this is a "feature" or not

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Time machine backups are automatically deleted (oldest first to go) when the drive or volume you use as a backup becomes full.

Is this the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

No, it's not that. 1.5TB drive only had about 600 GB used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Humm.

I am guessing that TM didn't recognise your previous backups as being belonging to your mac after you had to reinstall.

So it created a new backup.

Can you browse through the backup disc manually and see what is in the backups folder. If there are 2 folders then it's one for each mac which shows that it in effect started from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just been checking it there & it appears that the install wiped my time machine as well as my boot drive. Luckily I'd a "double bag" backup done to an external which had what I needed. There's about two weeks missing between the two, but I guess I can live with that.

Advertisement