Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco Certified IT Network Training Package for €129 (96% Off)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Spotted this yesterday too and came here to see had anyone mentioned it. I want to start some form of study in October as it has been about 6 years since I've done any, and just want to upskill in general. Looking at the different options, so would be interested to hear if anybody has any more detail on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GMCLOU

Seen this today, seems a good deal. I have sent an email to the company, hosting the deal, for this particular package. What I want to know is how long you would have access to all of the course material. Since this is a package of four courses, it would take a long time to complete exams, etc... especially doing it part time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

According to the info you have till august 4th to download all the information after which I imagine you learn at your own pace.

129 euro does seem to good to be true though so am wondering if there's a catch of some sort. Will you let us know what they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonniealan

To good to be true was my 1st thought also. let me know if you get any feedback.

I think you have until Tomorrow to download course

Thanks

These guys don't appear to be too quick to reply... I sent off an email at 12:30 and still no reply from them. Also tried there "Request a Call Back" on the ribbon of there website.

Generally the norm is, you have a login account created and then access is permitted for 6 months or so. This is going on previous experience with MindLeaders.com

From what is stated on the deal, you have until the 5th of October to reclaim the deal from the website with the "Groupon Voucher".

So far 68 people have bought the deal... hope they use boards.ie :)

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if its mainly web lectures vidoes ect or a series of PDF's

Dont fancy paying €126 for a load of pdf's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Jonniealan wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its mainly web lectures vidoes ect or a series of PDF's

Dont fancy paying €126 for a load of pdf's

The Cisco curriculum is presented in their own flash user interface, it's not downloadable, must login on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes, but how long do you have access to the website, it doesn't make it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Sounds really good but definitely would need to know how long you have access for. Would be very tough to get the 4 modules and exams out of the way in 6 months part time!

Joe Kindle from Careermatch-uk got back to me... Access is for 1 year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

GMCLOU wrote: »
    Joe Kindle from Careermatch-uk got back to me... Access is for 1 year

This is in line so with any other Cisco courses, the important thing for me is what value the certs have at the end of the course. Would it get you on the starting block in a career in IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There is no way you'd get them all studied and exams sat in the year. I studied CCNA last year and there is a fair amount in it. CCNA on its own would take months and CCNP is over 2 years afaik. You need to have CCNA completed before you can access CCNP. Then how can you sit exams later without access to the curriculum.

Access for a year sounds good to me. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

It seems it is only for the course training material, the exams would be extra, taken from a different site:
    'ICND1 and ICND2 exams (= CCNA) are like £85 each and CCNP is £110 '

Link to thread:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18437744&highlight=cisco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

frasr wrote: »
    It seems it is only for the course training material, the exams would be extra, taken from a different site:
    'ICND1 and ICND2 exams (= CCNA) are like £85 each and CCNP is £110 '

Link to thread:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18437744&highlight=cisco

Thats to be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Anyone shed some light weather it's possible to Do this In a year?

I imagine it depends on how much time you have to put in and on any previous experience that you have. From what I've read elsewhere a year should be plenty of time unless you don't regularly put time aside for it.

I would not underestimate the difficulty in self motivation towards studying where there are no classes to go to and no one "forcing" you to do x,y and z before a certain date. I'm doing courses with the OU and having to force yourself to sit down and read/study is quite hard in the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Single CCNA Exam is over 260 euro here (with vat). With each exam being around 130 each if you opt for the icnd 1 and 2 route.

If someone has never studied IT or networking before, they will find CCNA in one year of self study to be extremely difficult.

However, I did it in one year with no prior networking knowledge and no degree in computers. That said I did it as part of a networking course in a college and I had real cisco equipment to practice Cisco IOS CLI on. Access to the full Cisco networking academy discovery course and I bought the CBT nuggets video course.

I still found it very challenging although I did score highly in the exams (I went ICND 1 + 2 route). The ICND2 exam itself is not for the faint hearted.

It all depends on the individual. If you don't mind giving over large portions of your life to study, and are good at logically working out abstract concepts and don't mind counting to any number using only ones and zeros than by all means go for it. The golden rule of networking is if you don't get the concept of subnetting then there is no point going any further. So you will know soon enough after starting the course if it's not for you.

If something like DOS or binary scares you than CCNA is not for you as its largely about the bits and bytes and command line interface.

Bare in mind that a CCNA is usually associated with real experience and the chances of getting a job with CCNA and no experience are slim to none. Better off getting the Microsoft certs if your starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

CCNA is fairly straight forward if you have any experience in a networking environment,if you are considering doing this off the bat with no experience you will find it very hard as a lot of the work involves lab work ie working with cisco routers and switches,of course there are software versions of this "packet tracer" etc but when you are doing your exam and they have you in a lab with 5 computers and a selection of switches and routers and a examiner standing on top of you its kinda daunting unless you have physically practised it.
    best of luck to those who are considering taking the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

just as an FYI CMIT have a 2 for 1 deal on at the minute for 495

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    CCNA is fairly straight forward if you have any experience in a networking environment,if you are considering doing this off the bat with no experience you will find it very hard as a lot of the work involves lab work ie working with cisco routers and switches,of course there are software versions of this "packet tracer" etc but when you are doing your exam and they have you in a lab with 5 computers and a selection of switches and routers and a examiner standing on top of you its kinda daunting unless you have physically practised it.
    best of luck to those who are considering taking the course.

For CCNA level you dont do any lab exams. It's a multiple-choice exam of 50-60 questions. If you put in the study and use packet tracer you should be fine. I would recommend having packet tracer open while studying and enter in commands as you seem them in your text book of choice or videos. You will remember them better this way.

The key area is subnetting as a lot of questions directly or in directly will involve you having a very good understanding of it.

If you go all the way to CCIE level you have to do an 8hr lab exam but only after passing the written exam.

/Neon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

It's multiple choice and virtual lab simulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

in 2008 i had to do a lab exam before i could qualify to do the final exam
    and that was in a 3rd level institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

If your unemployed you can do this through FAS Online I'm doing it at the moment and it can be quite tricky without actual lab experience but the forums can be good and actually working things out yourself for the assignments is good practice and helps with the learning.
    There is books available and if anyone wants them pm me and I can make a link for them in dropbox.

Anyone else get this then? I entered the code that I received on the site and was told that an email would follow yet not had anything yet. Anyone else a similar story or do I need to start chasing them?

Yeah I purchased the course a week ago and only got access Yesterday.

So yeah chase them up to be, they got a much bigger responce for this that they anticipated so its taking awhile. Give them a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

"Cisco certified IT network training". It doesnt say its the CCNA. You would wonder what cert do you get at the end of it.

It also seems too good to be true and the description is awkwardly worded:
    Learning a thing or two about a thing or two can put you in the know, and help with your times table. Make things add up with today's Groupon: €129 for a Cisco certified online IT network training course, distributed by Career Match. Giving aspiring tech-heads Cisco-certified tr....

I would be very cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

syklops wrote: »
    "Cisco certified IT network training". It doesnt say its the CCNA. You would wonder what cert do you get at the end of it.

It also seems too good to be true and the description is awkwardly worded:

I would be very cautious.
    If you follow the course link it gives a full description:

CCENT
    CCNA SECURITY
    CCNP
    CCNA VOICE

It is only the course work, not the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

I don't think there is any certification, just the online training. You must organize and pay to do the exam yourself.
    As I said earlier unemployed people can do this with FAS for free and I'm sure there is a reduced rate for employed people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Its a good price for what your getting, but I wouldn't pay much more for it. The course is dated videos and practice and simulated exams. The simulated exams only have multiple choice questions which does not reflect the real exam (which has drag-and-drop, simulated labs and command inputs).

If it was this price for just the CCNA I would be deeply unhappy. For the voice and security its cost effective. The CCNP makes it a great deal.

Like I said, you will probably need more exam simulations then this, one that at least will let you do some virtual lab work.

Advertisement