Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move into a career in IT

Options
  • 04-09-2012 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hello,

If I was to complete this course http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals. Would it open doors into the IT job market, currently no IT experience other good knowledge of MS office.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It would HOWEVER, networking is a much more advanced area, you would need to get say your EDCL or something more basic first as if you do not understand the basic you will be totally lost in any class like that.

Also FAS offer similar classes online for free if you are out of work. They have the Cisco cert classes which anyone can take which won't cost you anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

CptSternn wrote: »
    It would HOWEVER, networking is a much more advanced area, you would need to get say your EDCL or something more basic first as if you do not understand the basic you will be totally lost in any class like that.

I would disagree with the above. ECDL is for the complete novice and you say you already have a good knowledge of Office. Therefore I'm assuming you know your way around windows so you probably have everything you need to get started.

Start by looking at Comptia's A+ And Net + Certifications. These are basic technicans certs that show you can repair Pc's and understand the fundamentals of networking. Cisco or Microsoft Certs should come later and are only really worthwhile if they come with experience.

The above certs would almost certainly open doors into the Level 1 support roles out there.

My 2c

LoGiE

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

LoGiE wrote: »
    I would disagree with the above. ECDL is for the complete novice and you say you already have a good knowledge of Office. Therefore I'm assuming you know your way around windows so you probably have everything you need to get started.

Start by looking at Comptia's A+ And Net + Certifications. These are basic technicans certs that show you can repair Pc's and understand the fundamentals of networking. Cisco or Microsoft Certs should come later and are only really worthwhile if they come with experience.

The above certs would almost certainly open doors into the Level 1 support roles out there.

My 2c

LoGiE

What sort of salary, would a Level 1 support role generate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm afraid I don't work in recruitment. Have a look at some of the job sites searching for Helpdesk, Level 1/2 roles to get an idea of what you might earn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

LoGiE wrote: »

Perhaps, however, this is a heavily saturated market, and unless you have another language, I would look further into this if getting a job is your main priority before going any further.

Check Monster and IrishJobs - deskside support pays about €25 - €35 a year right now, based on experience.

Even upper level networking jobs right now are only paying on average about €35 - €45 k depending on experience. The market is very saturated as stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

This link is a good guide and would be somewhat accurate.

It would depend on the role in question - if you have more details about the role it'd be easier to guage.

Advertisement