Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Course Cancelled? - Help

Options
  • 03-09-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I accepted an offer from UCD for MSc in strategic management accounting and have also paid deposit in April. However, I just received an email from UCD about a week ago and was told that the course had been cancelled due to insufficient enrollment. I am really upset!!! Because I had accepted the offer from UCD, I rejected offers / cancelled applications from the other universities. Also, in order to facilitate the study and take certain time off to attend the course (this is a two year part-time Master degree course), I had made arrangement with my current employer and transferred to a different department with a reduced remuneration package. I checked other universities (TCD / DCU) for a similar course but the application deadline had already passed. This has just ruined my personal plan for the next few years.I want to make a complain but don't think they will reinstate the course anyway. What should I do? has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Did they offer you any alternative course or to accommodate you in any way?

You may not want to do this, but you could threaten legal action. A few years ago UCD cancelled their evening course in Irish. Students had already made arrangements to take the course (and even registered), but they discovered on the first day that it had been cancelled. After some solicitors' letters, the course was eventually reinstated.

They might claim that they reserve the right to cancel courses with low enrollment, but you have a legitimate expectation that they offer you some sort of alternative and that they would have informed you in a timely manner if the course is to be cancelled. It doesn't sound like this was the case in this instance.

The bottom line is that this decision has cost you - both in terms of money (your job change) and opportunity cost (you rejected other offers). You should not be left at a disadvantage because of it.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but maybe you should talk to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

You should look for compo for them not telling you in time. Ask a solicitor, it's free to ask like.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

As the other two posters have said, you should definitely look into legal action. But it also wouldn't hurt to email the other universities or give them a call, explain your situation and ask if there's any space on the course you'd like to do/if you could possibly be put on a waiting list. (It might be an even better idea to create a sob story & say you didn't think you'd be able to afford the course so you reluctantly turned it down, but know you've managed to secure funding etc etc)

Colleges are eager for postgrad students b/c they pay full fees, and if the course hasn't reached full numbers yet (which is a possibility since the UCD one didn't) then they'd probably be quite willing to take you on.
    It's a long shot but you could give it a go! I did something similar two weeks ago. I had rejected the offer but then rang and begged them to take me back lol, they were very accommodating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

You could sit the cima exams yourself (which is what the masters was for/based on) and get tuition in places such as dbs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I don't know what the SU is like these days, but back in the day this was one of the few areas in which they'd be effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SharkBlade

Hi guys, thanks for all your posts.

Legal action probably would be my last resort, but I don’t really want to be on their “black list”.

I have talked to one of the course directors and he did ask if I would like to apply for any other programme. My problem is that I am currently working in Galway, (this is one of the reasons why I am so frustrated. In order to attend the classes scheduled on Friday afternoon & Saturday, I “begged” my bosses (not only the local ones) for months to facilitate and now I am only working Monday to Thursday. I even rented a shared accommodation close to Blackrock for every Friday night.) the only other “suitable” programme which I am able to attend is the MBA part-time weekend class. The director said to me that he could forward my application to the MBA course director if I was interested. However, the tuition fee alone is 30K Euro, I can’t afford it without robbing a bank…

Well, at the end of the day, I can probably still go back to my bosses and “beg” to work one “extra” day a week. I probably will lose my rent deposit, but it’s only 150 Euro. I can still live without it. I am upset and frustrated because the time and efforts wasted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SharkBlade

kkumk wrote: »
    ... I had rejected the offer but then rang and begged them to take me back lol, they were very accommodating.

Thanks bro. The offers I rejected were from 3 UK universities, I was considering moving to the UK. I think it is too late now to relocate, especially I have a family. That's why I said my personal plan has been totally messed up.

Advertisement