Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death certificate or my Great Granddad. hand writing is very hard to make out.

Options
  • 03-09-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello all. My family is having quite a hard time understanding the handwriting on my Great Granddads Death certificate. Here is a picture of the Cause of death section. It's all we really want to know. http://imgur.com/azcod Any help would be great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Top 3 words look like "congestive heart failure"

Last word "certified", middle 2 words look like a name, Claire something...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GS540

Top 3 words look like "congestive heart failure"

Last word "certified", middle 2 words look like a name, Claire something...[/QUOT

Thank you so much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Agree with above

I think other two words are

"Chronic myocarditis " or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GS540

Okay so what does this mean then? He got Chronic myocarditis and then died due to congestive heart failure? am I understanding this right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

from distant memories of learning Greek and Latin

chronic = constant, recurring

-itis - inflammation

card- = heart

looks like swelling of one of the heart muscles, or maybe there is just one heart muscle - ask a med

Seems your ancestor died from heart trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

chronic myocarditis

inflammation of the myocardium that persists after an acute bacterial infection. Chronic myocarditis is characterized by degeneration of muscle tissue and fibrosis or infiltration of interstitial tissues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

The last word is "Certified", which is also on my great grandfathers death cert, it means that the condition was certified as having been present before death.

Advertisement