Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Need Help Picking Players

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭ Irish94


    This is my first year playing fantasy football and I do not know what players to pick. I know the rules to the draft and how it works, my only problem is I don't really have a clue who to pick! I started watching American Football last year and only know a handful of players, i.e. Rodgers, Hernandez, Tebow, Cruz, Brady, Manning etc. I'm playing with a few friends this year and they are all quite knowledgeable when it comes to American Football. I don't wanna lose every week so I would appreciate any help that you guys could give me :). Our draft is tomorrow night. Thanks :)


Comments



  • Google 'fantasy football cheat sheet', read up on nfl.com, espn.com, si.com and yahoo.com about whats going on. This will all help you to be in good nick for the draft. I couldn't possibly go through everything with you here and now. We are all preparing for drafts at the moment.




  • Irish94 wrote: »
    This is my first year playing fantasy football and I do not know what players to pick. I know the rules to the draft and how it works, my only problem is I don't really have a clue who to pick! I started watching American Football last year and only know a handful of players, i.e. Rodgers, Hernandez, Tebow, Cruz, Brady, Manning etc. I'm playing with a few friends this year and they are all quite knowledgeable when it comes to American Football. I don't wanna lose every week so I would appreciate any help that you guys could give me :). Our draft is tomorrow night. Thanks :)

    If I were you I'd keep it simple and pick one source of rankings and stick to it. I would use ESPN, they have a good draft kit...
    http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/ffldraftkit

    I'd also try and listen to a FF podcast if you have time during the year, to keep you up to date. My favourite is ESPN again....search for Fantasy Focus Football podcast on iTunes..but there are loads of them.




  • fisgon wrote: »
    If I were you I'd keep it simple and pick one source of rankings and stick to it. I would use ESPN, they have a good draft kit...
    http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/ffldraftkit
    Yeah use the rankings and play it safe for the first year (i.e. don't make any creative picks).

    Fill all your starting slots for the following positions first:
    QB, RB, WR, TE

    Can pick them in whatever order, but just fill all the starting slots before you start selecting bench players.

    For the bench, pick RBs and WRs as a priority (RBs and WRs are more variable performers, and you'll have more bye weeks to cover in those positions). Take note of the bye-weeks you need to cover when selecting bench players (e.g. if your starting RB's bye week is 6, you don't really want a backup RB who's bye week is also 6).

    Backup QB and TE are fairly low priority (less injury prone etc.). I usually take a backup QB, but don't bother with a backup TE (get someone off the waiver wire for his one bye week).

    Pick DEF and K with your very last 2 picks (i.e. after your bench players).




  • padraig_f wrote: »
    Fill all your starting slots for the following positions first:
    QB, RB, WR, TE
    ..........
    Pick DEF and K with your very last 2 picks (i.e. after your bench players).

    Dodgy advice.
    Always going QB first is only really worthwhile if you're in the first few picks of the draft.

    Keep an eye on the projected points each available player is due to make.
    Try to gauge the difference in points that your combined picks will make and pick the best combination.

    Example:

    QB1 - Available now, projected 280pts
    QB2 - One of the QB's you should be able to get next round, projected ~230pts

    vs.

    RB1 - Available now, projected 270pts
    RB2 - One of the QB's you should be able to get next round, projected ~200pts

    Taking QB round 1, RB round 2 gives you a projected 480pts
    Taking RB round 1, QB round 2 gives you a projected 500pts




  • BizzyC wrote: »
    Dodgy advice.
    Always going QB first is only really worthwhile if you're in the first few picks of the draft.
    You misunderstood me. I wasn't saying pick QB first. I was saying fill your starters in the QB/RB/WR/TE positions (i.e. not DEF/K) first. I said in the following line: 'Can pick them in whatever order, but just fill all the starting slots before you start selecting bench players.'

    BizzyC wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the projected points each available player is due to make.
    Try to gauge the difference in points that your combined picks will make and pick the best combination.
    That's true but is a more advanced idea, and not so easy to calculate in a live draft. That's why I was saying, for a first-year player, to follow the ESPN/NFL.com ranking (which already incorporates the above idea), and fill your starting positions first.


  • Advertisement


  • padraig_f wrote: »
    You misunderstood me. I wasn't saying pick QB first. I was saying fill your starters in the QB/RB/WR/TE positions (i.e. not DEF/K) first. I said in the following line: 'Can pick them in whatever order, but just fill all the starting slots before you start selecting bench players.'

    Fair enough, misread your fisrt post.




  • Those projected points totals are some of the most useless information imaginable. I'd choose an analysts' personal rankings over them every single time if I wanted a cheat sheet.




  • Syferus wrote: »
    Those projected points totals are some of the most useless information imaginable. I'd choose an analysts' personal rankings over them every single time if I wanted a cheat sheet.

    If you dont know enough to assess an analyst's opinions though, they're a good place to start.




  • I'd safely say a list of names in order is easier for a novice to understand than '2012 Proj. 3758 yrds, 31 TDs/12 INT, 254 yrds, 5 TDs', though.




  • Easier, but not better.

    If you're going to work purely off of rankings you may aswell leave it to the auto draft....


  • Advertisement
Advertisement