Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i pay fees via a student loan while waiting for SUSI outcome?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Hoping some of you could help me with this query.

Like many people here I'm still waiting on a response from SUSI regarding my grant application...now my University is in the UK and I absolutely have to go over next week to register and begin etc but there's no way I'll have an answer from SUSI by then (been assessed already and they're waiting on documents from me etc) but i know it's not gonna be ready in time.

As i'll be getting BTEA i'm being considered for tuition fees only but I could also get a loan from Band Of Englands Student Loans Co for a tuition only loan (paid by the loan co directly to my university)...so here's my question.

If I go for BOE student loan and my SUSI grant is finally approved after BOE have paid my University can i still accept my susi grant and use it to repay BOE loan?

If anyone could advise me on this one I'd really appreciate it as i'm running out of time with this.

Thanks

C.

Ps. I've tried contacting SUSI but they haven't replied to my mails in over a week now:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Katie Kaboom

I Think you can bring in a letter from SUSI or even the email they sent you when you applied and the college will wait for the fees until you get confirmation on wheather you qualify or not... But I'm not sure, ask the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

caesura wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hoping some of you could help me with this query.

Like many people here I'm still waiting on a response from SUSI regarding my grant application...now my University is in the UK and I absolutely have to go over next week to register and begin etc but there's no way I'll have an answer from SUSI by then (been assessed already and they're waiting on documents from me etc) but i know it's not gonna be ready in time.

As i'll be getting BTEA i'm being considered for tuition fees only but I could also get a loan from Band Of Englands Student Loans Co for a tuition only loan (paid by the loan co directly to my university)...so here's my question.

If I go for BOE student loan and my SUSI grant is finally approved after BOE have paid my University can i still accept my susi grant and use it to repay BOE loan?

If anyone could advise me on this one I'd really appreciate it as i'm running out of time with this.

Thanks

C.

Ps. I've tried contacting SUSI but they haven't replied to my mails in over a week now:rolleyes:

You are not eligible for fees to be paid for you in the UK. It only covers Ireland and the fact that you are on BTEA, you won't get a grant either
    I'm afraid.:cool: You'll more than likely be getting a refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

achmairt wrote: »
    You are not eligible for fees to be paid for you in the UK. It only covers Ireland and the fact that you are on BTEA, you won't get a grant either

I'm not 100% sure if you are correct about that

Firstly if you are on BTEA you can get a grant to pay fees

Secondly the citizens information suggests you can get this grant for a course in a publicly funded institution anywhere in the EU

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

(b) Full-time undergraduate courses of not less than 2 years' duration taken in a publicly funded university or third-level institution in another EU member state

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

achmairt wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure if you are correct about that

Firstly if you are on BTEA you can get a grant to pay fees

Secondly the citizens information suggests you can get this grant for a course in a publicly funded institution anywhere in the EU

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

(b) Full-time undergraduate courses of not less than 2 years' duration taken in a publicly funded university or third-level institution in another EU member state

The OP is definitely not going to get a fee grant for a course in the UK - only undergrad fees in the Republic and postgraduate fees in the Republic and Northern Ireland are payable (Article 8 of the Scheme). An application will have to be made to the UK student loans company for the fee loan. The loan is only repayable when the student starts working (www.slc.co.uk).

If it's a health related course (medicine, nursing, physio, etc) fees are usually paid through the NHS bursary system (that's not a loan system - repayment isn't needed). That advice on Citizens Info. is a bit misleading though.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm actually not worried about eligibility in terms of my course being in the UK.

I've checked with them and been told it's not a problem and of course it's already been through the first stage of assessment successfully...so although it's by no means fully accepted yet it's grand so far as location of my Uni is concerned.

What i'm wondering is if I was to get a student loan from BOE or any other bank/institution to pay fees while waiting for outcome of grant...would i still be eligible for grant*

(*when i say grant I only mean tuition fee aspect not overall grant)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Best bet with these things is to phone the grant office and your university to explain your predicament.
    Don't do anything rash that might mess up your application.

Advertisement