Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Cert in Bus w/ Music & Instrument Tech

Options
  • 03-09-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello There...I got offered a place in AIT this year for the Higher Cert in Business w/ Music and Instrument technology but I deferred it until next year..I seen a brief mention of it in another thread but I was hoping to get some insight about the course from somebody who's actually currently doing the course or has done the course. Is it more Music or business orientated?

Any insight really to help me get a feel of what the course is actually like would be appreciated.

Cheers lads :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

I was in the first year of this course in 2007. Great to see so many others posting about it now!

First off. Look at the name:
    Business with Music and Instrument Technology.

It is a business course. Some people consider there to be too much, but it's not Music and Instrument Tech with Business-- a lot of people expect to be superstar music producers immediately, but it doesn't work that way- you need to work at all of it!

The course was originally designed with people who don't play music in mind to make it more open, but as with any Music Technology programme it can be an advantage to know some music theory and IT stuff. Ruth Kennington is the head lecturer, she has a Masters in Music Technology from NUI Maynooth and a lot of industry experience. She'll do anything to help you as long as you put the work in, so don't mess her around!

The three elements are business (as above), sound engineering (hopefully more in-depth than when I started, should be because of Ruth), and instrument-making/lutherie (making acoustic stringed instruments like a mandolin and guitar).
    There are other aspects like acoustics (the physics end of things, very important!), "learning to learn" whatever that is (we didn't have it in my day! :P), and Music Appreciation (basic sheet music and music theory). There are a few others, it has changed a bit in the last five years so I can't say what you'll be studying for definite.

I will say this: It is hard work, but stick with it. Pay attention, work hard, do your best, ask questions if you need to, and it will be worth it. There are a few other graduates who are still hanging around the place (I coach the fencing and archery clubs) so I hope that's a good thing too. :P

I should add that the business end is not that bad. I never studied it at school so it was intimidating in the title, but much better in reality. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OzDoody

This is a great reply...Pretty much exactly what I was looking for..Im excited for it, My only regret is Deferring it...Wish I could've started this year :P Thanks Man :)

Not man......

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OzDoody

My bad...No offense intended :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement