Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self publishing distribution?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

For anybody who knows the business well or has experience in this I am interested to hear how self published authors have managed to distribute their work and get on the shelves in places like Easons, Reads, Dubray, Hodges Figgis etc..

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 onewhogroks

In my experience, these self-published authors have distributed their work by doing one of the following:

A) Successfully self-marketed themselves and got enough online sales which earned a contract from a traditional publisher who, in turn, got them into book stores or

B) Paid a print-on-demand service for a bulk amount of their own book and then used some contact they may have to get it in a book store (or just went to a friendly independent book store) who put their books up for sale

I am sure there are other ways, but these two are the most common I've heard of.

I work with a media company who are also involved in ePublishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

My last book was self-published and managed to get it onto the shelves at Easons - I don't remember exactly how much they kept from the price of each copy, but it was about 40%.
    But fair play to Easons.
    I got the promotion/exposure which is important to a writer.
    Privately owned (Irish) book-shops refused to take any copies, but maybe they were waiting for Stephen King to show up?
    Is that why they're all gone to the wall?

Advertisement