Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and exemption from student contribution

Options
  • 03-09-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

It says on the citizens information website that if you are getting the BTEA you may qualify for exemption from the student contribution. Can anyone tell me the eligibilty criteria for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It says on the citizens information website that if you are getting the BTEA you may qualify for exemption from the student contribution. Can anyone tell me the eligibilty criteria for this?

You have to apply for a grant to cover the student contribution.

The deadline for applications was 31st August but in previous years this deadline was often extended. I think you can still apply but I'm not sure

More info here http://www.studentfinance.ie/

Apply here

https://www.grantsonline.ie/eseries/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leesaunders

Ah right, they way i read it was that if you qualify for BTEA you can be exempt from student contribution without applying to SUSI. Thanks.

Ah right, they way i read it was that if you qualify for BTEA you can be exempt from student contribution without applying to SUSI. Thanks.

No - you need to apply to SUSI.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

Why list it as an exemption then? Thats a bit misleading on CIB isn't it? I got two letters in the door last Friday. First one congratulates me on being awarded the BTEA and informs me that it will be in my bank a/c next Thursday, the second one tells me i didn't get the grant to cover my student contribution - because the household income was over the allowed amount ( i was in FT employment until Oct 2011 but on JSB since then)

Is that a definite point about there being no further exemption from the SC?

Why list it as an exemption then? Thats a bit misleading on CIB isn't it? I got two letters in the door last Friday. First one congratulates me on being awarded the BTEA and informs me that it will be in my bank a/c next Thursday, the second one tells me i didn't get the grant to cover my student contribution - because the household income was over the allowed amount ( i was in FT employment until Oct 2011 but on JSB since then)

Is that a definite point about there being no further exemption from the SC?

I'm not aware of any other exemption. When you applied did you ask them to take account the change in circumstances from Oct 2011 onwards. I would appeal that decision on the basis that your income dropped significantly and that is a change in circumstances.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

yeah, I included my JSB payments from Oct as income and added a note where it allowed stating that I was on JSB from Oct and was applying for BTEA...

It rubbish that I have to appeal on this basis after I have already stated it...

Advertisement