Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transactions appearing twice online

Options
  • 03-09-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭

HI

I've seen transactions in online accounts duplicated during the evening time when i check my account (and others) online.

Later on the duplicated transaction is removed and balances are correct.

When this happens the bank balance is also affected by this. I've previously been told that this occurrance was due to a once off batch job updating transactions. This affects both payments and receipts made during the day in question

Can somebody at BOI please advise why transactions/accounts are affected like this? Why can you not only show correct transactions and exclude the dummy transactions you are processing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi daheff,

Thanks for getting in touch.

What you have been previously told is correct. If you are logged onto 365 Online when the system is updating account transactions, it can appear that transactions have been duplicated and the balances will sometimes not seem to be correct. This will then rectify when the system has finished updating.

This is down to how the 365 system is set up. Unfortunately, we do not have the option of stopping this from occurring.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Hi Tara,

Does this mean then that if a duplicated receipt went into my account, that i could then withdraw more money than was actually in my account at the time (say by an ATM)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi daheff,

As the file is running overnight, you may see transactions and credits out of order or duplicated, however your final balance will always be correct. Therefore if there is a duplicated credit displaying it will not be reflected in the final balance, so it would not be possible to withdraw it at an atm.

I hope this answers your question.
    Thanks
    Linda

Hi Linda,

I would disagree with what you are saying.

1 the file does not run overnight. The last time i saw this issue (Around 31/8) it was approx 8pm in the evening. The balance was increased by the amount of the duplicated transaction (only one that day).

so again...does this mean that the atm would let me withdraw more than is technically in my account? Or is the ATM looking at a different system that only ever sees each transaction once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi daheff,

Apologies, we didn't realise it was happening as early as 8pm. Next time this occurs if you are able to take a screen shot so we can investigate this further for you. You can contact Banking 365 on 0818 365 365.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement

its happening right now. who can i email the screenshot to?

i would really like to know the correct balance in my account all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi daheff,

We've sent you a PM with the details.

Thanks very much for your help,
    Graham

Just bumping this up as I am STILL awaiting an answer on this.

Hi daheff,

We are still waiting for an update, as soon as we have a response we will let you know.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi Tara

it shouldnt take nearly a month to get a response on this. Why is it taking so long?

• Advertisement

Hi daheff,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. This query was more complex than we had originally thought and we wanted to clarify everything before coming back to you. Your patience is very much appreciated.

The reason you are seeing duplicated transactions is that when we are processing payments, they move from one file to another, during this processing period transactions can appear twice.

We have double checked with our bookkeeping team and they have confirmed that although it looks confusing, the balance is actually correct and therefore no extra funds will be available.

When the payment files are being run, it can effect the running balance displayed online, but your final balance will be correct. If you check the balance displayed on 05/09/2012 on the screenshot you sent in and compare this with your online or paper statement, you will see the balance was correct.

I hope this helps clarify the issue and thanks again for your patience.

Tara

Hi Tara,

I dont really think that this is acceptable in this day and age to be showing duplicate transactions online- even if one is a 'ghost'. It causes confusion for people. One person saw money I had transferred to them twice, thought I had sent it twice and transferred the money back to me. Causing more problems as their account was then left short.

I'm not aware of any other banks doing this.

Hi daheff,

I have forwarded your feedback to our Bookkeeping Team and apologise once again for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement