Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicotine comparison to analogues

Options
  • 03-09-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

Lads, I am vaping to quit smoking and so far so good after a couple of weeks. I do want to break my vaping habit eventually so I am trying to figure out a plan to wean myself off nicotine. I am also concerned I am vaping more nicotine than by smoking.

How can I compare my vaping nicotine to smoking?

For example my former analogue brand B&H contains 0.9mg of nicotine, I assume per cigarette. So I used to smoke about 12 analogues a day so 12x0.9 = 10.8mg per day of nicotine.

I am now vaping with 12mg juice about 6ml a day with a vivi nova. How much is my daily intake of nicotine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Watch this, it's a long video but very informative.

On this episode we are joined by Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos, Cardiologist at Onassis Cardiac Center Athens, Greece to discuss his study, "The effects of vaping on the cardiovascular system, comparison with cigarette smoking". He covers smoking and vaping effects on cardiac function and coronary flow.

The study was presented at the EuroPRevent 2012 in Dublin Ireland an annual conference aimed to reduce the burden of cardiovascular disease in Europe. Dr. Farsalinos presents a wide swath of data to show the effectiveness of electronic cigarettes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah it's a long video but it's very interesting stuff

generally ecigs are nowhere near as good as cigarettes at delivering nicotine. starting off at 12mg you're already very low down. half of it, or even imo more than half, is the action of smoking.. that's what smokers really miss long term and vaping is excellent at that.

thinkof nicotine as you would caffeine. not neccesarily good for you, but it won't kill you (provided you dont chain vape 52mg juice) and it's unlikely to do much harm provided it's not abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Thanks for link, watching it now.

It states that the full results would be shared at a Cardio congress in Munich, August 2012.

Any links for this?

haven't seen, but then I haven't looked either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

krissovo wrote: »

It states that the full results would be shared at a Cardio congress in Munich, August 2012.

Any links for this?
    haven't seen, but then I haven't looked either :)

http://www.escardio.org/Search/results.aspx/Results.aspx?k=electronic%20cigarettes

Lots to read tonight so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Any links for this?

If you go to the main channel page of the YouTube video uploader there might be some updates as well as the link DB posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

That was a very interesting show, the nicotine absorption topic is really interesting in that compared to fags not much is absorbed through vapeing.

My next challenge is good quality juice based on some other highlights in the show. I only just realized that none of my juice bottles have any form of ingredients listed or quality marks.

That was a very interesting show, the nicotine absorption topic is really interesting in that compared to fags not much is absorbed through vapeing.

My next challenge is good quality juice based on some other highlights in the show. I only just realized that none of my juice bottles have any form of ingredients listed or quality marks.

juices tend not to have ingredients on the labels and the ones that do tend to be meaningless
    "pg, vg, nicotine and flavourings" is all you're likely to get

outside of dekang,joyetech.. and maybe liqua/halo as well.. all juices are amateur made. you'll just have to make your peace with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think I read somewhere that effectively vaping is more akin to a nicotine patch in terms of how the nicotine is absorbed than smoking. ie. with smoking where the tobacco is burned the particulate size of the combustion products means that when inhaled the smoke can make it all the way into the tiniest branches (aveoli??) of the lungs and be fully absorbed into the tiny bloodvessels and into the blood stream. On the other hand the non combusted vapour particulate size means the e-liquid condenses on the interior of the lung before it gets in very deep so to speak. Much less surface area and proximity to the masses of blood vessels and thus much less absorbtion.

Kind of like why a suppository is better than a patch. With a patch the nicotine has to be absorbed through all the layers of the epidermis that trys its best not to absorb stuff before it reaches the bloodvessels feeding the skin underneath. With a suppository you are putting the medicine against an organ (colon/intestines) that doesn't have a resistence to absorbtion with its soft mucus membrane and has bloodvessels right below the surface. In the intestines case this is all about absorbing the nutrients from the digested food and getting them into the bloodstream.

With vaping its more like putting a nicotine patch inside our lung. Its an organ that has no resistance to absorbtion unlike the skin and lots of bloodvessels close to the surface. Thats why vaping is much better than a patch in getting more nicotine into our system quicker than a patch but for the reasons outlined at the beginning of the post it is nowhere near as efficient as a cigarette.

So in terms of the Mg levels this explains why a 1.6% e-liquid delivers a lot lest nicotine than say a 0.6% cigarette. 90% absorbtion of a 0.6% mg content is more than 10% absorbtion of a 1.6% mg content.

Advertisement