Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good site, lots of info on alcohol abuse & alcoholism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Jesus, the amount of damage done by binge drinking is F**ked up.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Varied wrote: »
    Jesus, the amount of damage done by binge drinking is F**ked up.

:/

What's scary is that so many people don't realise the damage they are doing, that it's just a harmless bit of fun and, sure, everyone's doing it. But they aren't.

A lot of drinkers in Ireland justify the high levels consumed to our 'culture'. But our 'culture' doesn't provide any extra protection to your brain, liver, nerves, etc against the harmful effects of drink. All humans are basically the same physically, your 'culture' doesnt make you superhuman or bulletproof.

But it's never too late to quit, your body CAN recover from some of the effects of alcohol abuse.

hubba wrote: »
    What's scary is that so many people don't realise the damage they are doing, that it's just a harmless bit of fun and, sure, everyone's doing it. But they aren't.

A lot of drinkers in Ireland justify the high levels consumed to our 'culture'. But our 'culture' doesn't provide any extra protection to your brain, liver, nerves, etc against the harmful effects of drink. All humans are basically the same physically, your 'culture' doesnt make you superhuman or bulletproof.

But it's never too late to quit, your body CAN recover from some of the effects of alcohol abuse.

Its tough on the social life too, I've considered giving up many times but have never followed through. There's always something coming up that involves drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Yes, it's true, nearly every occasion is celebrated with drink but not everyone drinks. You'd be surprised at the amount of sneaky teetotallers in the room. They keep it as quiet as possible as it usually attracts the wrong kind of attention.

I used to get very nervous before social events pre-quitting and thought I'd never go anywhere after I quit, I'd be too anxious. But the opposite happened, I calmed down, and after a few trips out without it, I hardly felt the nerves at all.

I have since looked it up, it seems it's the booze which creates the anxiety, causing you to drink more so it's a vicious circle. Quitting stops the madness.

This is a complete revelation to me and a very happy one as I was a bit of a nervous wreck before I quit. :D

hubba wrote: »
    Yes, it's true, nearly every occasion is celebrated with drink but not everyone drinks. You'd be surprised at the amount of sneaky teetotallers in the room. They keep it as quiet as possible as it usually attracts the wrong kind of attention.

I used to get very nervous before social events pre-quitting and thought I'd never go anywhere after I quit, I'd be too anxious. But the opposite happened, I calmed down, and after a few trips out without it, I hardly felt the nerves at all.

I have since looked it up, it seems it's the booze which creates the anxiety, causing you to drink more so it's a vicious circle. Quitting stops the madness.

This is a complete revelation to me and a very happy one as I was a bit of a nervous wreck before I quit. :D

Good advice. Serious food for thought, for me anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement