Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year (TY) Science Ideas

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey,

We've been asked to come up with some ideas for teaching Transition Year Science.

Any thoughts?

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Tasslehoff wrote: »
    Hey,

We've been asked to come up with some ideas for teaching Transition Year Science.

Any thoughts?

T
    Definitely exploring stuff that wouldn't be on the normal LC or JC courses! Stuff like Forensic Science, or Marine Biology or Astronomy, and do loads of projects on them to make it more interesting for everybody! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eannamcgrath

This is a copy of my outline for my transition year chemistry module, any questions ideas or comments welcome!

Physics & Chemistry – Mr. E. Mc Grath
    Duration: 20 hours
    Aims: To do rather than observe
    Objective: To use Science equipment
    To gain practice in the scientific method
    To reinforce the concept of the particulate nature of matter
    Content:
    Transition Year Module
    Chemistry/Science/Data-logging/Electronics
    Week
    1. Introduction and revision of Junior Certificate chemistry. The Periodic Table.
    2. Tarsia: Solve, discuss and create
    3. Acids and bases/datalogging: pH sensors and other sensors (Boyles law)
    4. Titration
    5. Rates of Reaction (Temperature vs Rate)
    6. Preparation of Gases: (Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, (Hydrogen) and Ethyne)
    7. Organic Chemistry / Lake Nyos
    8. Educational TV + internet (Brainiac, QI, Planet Earth, Mythbusters, TED.com etc.)
    9. Electronics (Resistance vs Temperature for thermistor (+ metallic conductor))
    10. Electronics (Ohm’s law)
    11. Electronics (Semiconductors)
    12. Electronics (Flashing Lights LED)
    13. Electronics / La Haine
    14. La Haine

Assessment: Oral, experimental results and Miniature circuits.

Evaluation: Questionnaire at end of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

CRANN in Trinity do a ty module - it's good but I felt it was a little bit too long. Forensics is great they all love it and there's loads of practical things they can do. I'm starting an animal physiology module after easter with dissections and experiments. Also going to get them to do projects an physiological disorders.

Advertisement