Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buddhism: the untold story

Options
  • 03-09-2012 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2012/09/201292175339684455.html

Buddhism is sometimes regarded, in Europe anyway, as a more tolerant religion, a religion of peaceful meditation and begging baldy monks.
    But like all organisations seeking control of society it has its darker side. The above link is to the recent ethnic-cleansing movement in Burma, orchestrated by the Buddhist church.
    Buddhism can also take credit for the attempted extermination of the Tamils of Sri Lanka and, let us not forget, the first suicide bombers of modern warfare, the kamikazi pilots, many of whom went to their deaths with the blessing of Buddha.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What a shame you don't have the integrity to post this in the Buddhism forum and discuss it with the good people there. Of course, maybe they'd try to kamikazi, suicide bomb or beg you over to their darker side...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I will happily post it there. My experience with the other religious forums is that they do not welcome criticism. We shall see.

And as regards my integrity, it is at least on a par with the racist monks of Burma and Sri Lanka.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

What an ignorant generalisation viewpoint you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Sappa wrote: »
    What an ignorant generalisation viewpoint you have.
    ?

I'm not seeing the ignorant generalisation. Could you explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What a shame you don't have the integrity to post this in the Buddhism forum and discuss it with the good people there. Of course, maybe they'd try to kamikazi, suicide bomb or beg you over to their darker side...

You sayin' we can't discuss buddyism in this forum? Even though there's plenty on christianity and islam. :confused:

Chill man. Harness the Chi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This could be a candidate for either the Buddhism forum, or the Hazards of Belief thread here.

EDIT: I see it's now posted in the Buddhism Forum, too, so let's close this one and anyone who wants to can head over there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement