Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Suggestions Please???

Options
  • 03-09-2012 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a huge dog lover. Have just finished college and am starting work shortly. Family dog passed away a few years ago and as I was away in college wasnt allowed to get another dog :( But now im free and was wondering what dog would suit to living indoors mostly with a small yard? I will be back at lunch time so can let him out or whatever and in the evening then, i can play with him.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

nathan89 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm a huge dog lover. Have just finished college and am starting work shortly. Family dog passed away a few years ago and as I was away in college wasnt allowed to get another dog :( But now im free and was wondering what dog would suit to living indoors mostly with a small yard? I will be back at lunch time so can let him out or whatever and in the evening then, i can play with him.

Thanks
    try for the small breed, first of all they need less food than the big ones, they do also have smaller number twos, that you can pick up and flush away, and less urine, since you have a very small garden, also it will take just a small little doghouse if you have them out in garden when you are out, and a small little basket for them to sleep in the kitchen at night and when there is rain and wind out,
    i have three jrt,s they are very lively little creatures, so i would not advise one of these for you, unless it is a small breed of the jrt, make shure you see mamma and pappa,
    i keep my little darlings in home with me, i just go for walks a couple times a day, they sleep on couch, and any way if you have one small dog, it take up litle room on couch,
    i wash them in the bath, and knowing they are clean means they can sit anywhere as far as i am concerned,
    the biggy is to toilet train it from the start, also when you get him/her put a little piece of light collar on the dog to get used to having something on its neck for when you will be putting on a lead at about ten weeks of age,
    the more you train in the start the better the pet you have, as a pet is for life and it needs training, love and attention and you will have a brill pet, but keep the size small, because if you need to go anywhere overnight, it is easy to get someone to look after a small doggy, and also it is easy to wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You dont need to get a small dog just because you have a small garden - we have a small garden and a retriever - he spends most of his time asleep inside and we live beside the park and have other good spots to walk in so he gets plenty of excercise.

OP a good start is to decide how much time you can give to the dog and use that as your guide so you have the right match for energy levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nathan89

thanks guys for the info. I most likely wouldnt be able to bring dog on long walk every day so a small dog would prob suit best. Will be able to play with him every day in the evening so not looking for a total couch potato. perhaps a bichon frise or something like that might be nice. anyone had a bichon before?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Would you consider a greyhound? There are lots looking for good homes and they don't need as much exercise as you'd think. They'd be ok with a couple of 20 minute walks whereas a terrier would do an hour standing on its head, and could still be hyper in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Get a Pomeranian :D They are so loyal and sweet and they're great guard dogs too :D get one :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭_GOD_

thanks guys for the info. I most likely wouldnt be able to bring dog on long walk every day so a small dog would prob suit best. Will be able to play with him every day in the evening so not looking for a total couch potato. perhaps a bichon frise or something like that might be nice. anyone had a bichon before?

If you're looking for a couch potato then definitely get a greyhound. they are known as the 40 mile an hour couch potato.

People think they need a lot of exercise but they are very wrong. They are bred to sprint and then be quiet for a few days. Most greyhounds spend 90% of their waking hours on the couch, and their waking hours are less than 12 hours a day. They are also extremely bidable, affectionate and sweet, most tend to be quite quiet too which would be important.

If you are going to get any dog and leave it during the day i would suggest going to a rescue that could point out a dog that doesnt mind being left alone, one run out of their own property for example

I know i'm being a bit picky but the girlfriend doesnt want a greyhound. pomeranian would be an option but i believe they shed an awful lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A lot of small companion dogs do take a bit of looking after in the hair department. You can always bring them to a groomer and they'll be able to do a puppy cut for you, which would take less grooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Bichons have lots of energy and tend not to like being left alone. Brilliant dogs but they need a fair bit of attention and grooming.

would leaving them from 9-1 and 2-5 be too much for them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I know i'm being a bit picky but the girlfriend doesnt want a greyhound. pomeranian would be an option but i believe they shed an awful lot?

They shed a fair bit. Not too much more than any other dog though. A little brush every day and it should be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

<snip>

I was looking through this website after reading your thread. And your girlfriend was against the greyhound type dog. Near the bottom of the link there is a Great Dane/Lurcher cross - he is stunning. A beautiful dog with the greyhound laziness.... Just an idea :D

They are some other lovely smaller dogs there too...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Me and my Girlfriend have adopted a glen of Imaal terrier, and they are lovely dogs,

We were looking for a Dog that would be ok in a apartment, with 2 daily walks, 45 min each more or less, and we couldn’t have got a better breed.

If you are up for a walk, they will follow you, and run around in the park, if you want to lazy around in the couch, they are happy as well, they are really smart dogs, and really silent as well (ours can go days without barking)

Ready about the breed before you decide, and see the one that would fit your life, even so they do have individual personalities, their breed will say a lot about what you can expect from then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_of_Imaal_Terrier

Best

bikedude wrote: »
    Me and my Girlfriend have adopted a glen of Imaal terrier, and they are lovely dogs,

We were looking for a Dog that would be ok in a apartment, with 2 daily walks, 45 min each more or less, and we couldn’t have got a better breed.

If you are up for a walk, they will follow you, and run around in the park, if you want to lazy around in the couch, they are happy as well, they are really smart dogs, and really silent as well (ours can go days without barking)

Ready about the breed before you decide, and see the one that would fit your life, even so they do have individual personalities, their breed will say a lot about what you can expect from then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_of_Imaal_Terrier

Best

I like this breed :) a lot:) Do ye have him in your apartment on his own during the day or where?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Hi Nathan

Yes, she stays at home all day on her own, we always leave some toys to keep her entertained, one walk in the morning (30/45 min) then one walk in the evening (30/45 min) and a couple of quick go out in the grass and she is happy.

Sometimes we need to drag her out of the bed in the morning for the walk, but once she is out, she is happy to follow you.

You get all the party when you get back home after a long day of work, but after 5 min she is calm and and happy that you are around.

I think the morning walk is important for her, so you most likely will need to schedule that 45 min in the morning.

On the weekends we just get her out with us, brunch in town or visiting friends, but no specific walk schedule.

We haven't got her as a puppy, we addoped her with 7months (a month ago), but she had settle very quick, and we are doing some training at the DSPCA as well, but so far no issues or bad behaviour to report.

Would you consider a lakeland terrier OP? I know somebody fostering one who's trying to find him a home..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Lab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

my advice would be to go to a few rescue centres (or have a look at their facebook pages) and see what dogs are there with an open mind, rather than seeking out a particular breed. chances are you will find a dog who you will fall in love with who really needs a home. after meeting the dog, if you are unfamiliar with the breed you can research it when you go home and see if you think it would be suitable. a good rescue centre will often provide vaccinations, spay/neutering and microchipping in the adoption fee for the dog, for a fraction of the cost of a breeder. poster above is correct in saying you don't have to have a small dog because you have a small garden, as long as you are giving the dogs regular exercise (it's good if you live near somewhere that you can do this. i have two border collies and you often get people saying they shouldn't be kept as pets at all because of their working background. they do need to be kept active, but they don't need to be running after sheep to be happy doggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

pug's are a good start or shih tzu?? both small and they like to be lazy with you but they will also play with you both

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you cannot commit to walking your dog everyday, then please do not get one. Daily walks are the very basic need a pet requires and if you cannot provide this then you shouldnt get one.

All dogs big and small needs daily exercise or they start to become a problem and get destructive.

Dogs like Poms and Bichons are actually very highly strung so need plenty of exercise.

You say you want it to live indoors and you only have a small yard too, so the dog will need to get out for a daily walk to get the exercise he/she requires as its very unfair to keep a dog cooped up in a house or small yard everyday.

Its very unfair to get a dog and then not walk it everyday :(

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    If you cannot commit to walking your dog everyday, then please do not get one. Daily walks are the very basic need a pet requires and if you cannot provide this then you shouldnt get one.

All dogs big and small needs daily exercise or they start to become a problem and get destructive.

Dogs like Poms and Bichons are actually very highly strung so need plenty of exercise.

You say you want it to live indoors and you only have a small yard too, so the dog will need to get out for a daily walk to get the exercise he/she requires as its very unfair to keep a dog cooped up in a house or small yard everyday.

Its very unfair to get a dog and then not walk it everyday :(

+1 I agree tbh. The walk isn't just about exercise - it's about socialization and stimulation too. Also just on the bichons energy levels - there was one running around in the park earlier with my retriever and his setter friend so they're tougher than I thought lol! :pac:
    OP I also noticed you asked about dogs shedding - dogs leave a mess be it hair, drool, getting wet etc etc so you need to allow for this too - a bored dog will usually find something to keep themselves busy!

I'd wait a while until you're settled in your job before getting the dog too btw - I just started a new job a couple of months ago and it's turned everything upside down with regards to classes, walks etc with the dog and it's been an adjustment for both of us to get a routine going again.

Advertisement