Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Im an 18 year old girl looking at moving into a house with my friend and her baby, who is 2. The cheapest house we have come across thatd be suitable is €450 a month. How do we go about getting help with oaying the rent? And roughly how much would we have to come up with ourselves? She is getting loan parent and ill be getting a susi grant as Ill be attending college. Anyone who would be able to help me out i would be very grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Khloe wrote: »
    Im an 18 year old girl looking at moving into a house with my friend and her baby, who is 2. The cheapest house we have come across thatd be suitable is €450 a month. How do we go about getting help with oaying the rent? And roughly how much would we have to come up with ourselves? She is getting loan parent and ill be getting a susi grant as Ill be attending college. Anyone who would be able to help me out i would be very grateful.

Your friend should get on a housing list with her local authority.

You can also go to the local authority if you have a housing need, but I think you'd be pretty low on their list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm not sure you'll be able to get Rent Allowance if you're just moving into a place. To get RA, you have to have rented privately (without State help) for at least 6 months before you can claim. But I stand to be corrected on that. You also have to be assessed by the Local Authority as being in need of housing.

Your friend has a baby, right? Is her name down for a place?? Would suggest she gets that in hand as soon as possible.

Have a look here for further information:http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Khloe

I'm not sure you'll be able to get Rent Allowance if you're just moving into a place. To get RA, you have to have rented privately (without State help) for at least 6 months before you can claim. But I stand to be corrected on that. You also have to be assessed by the Local Authority as being in need of housing.

Your friend has a baby, right? Is her name down for a place?? Would suggest she gets that in hand as soon as possible.

Have a look here for further information:http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

Yeah shes down to get a council house but was told that itd be at least 2 years before she gets anything. So we have no other option then to move into a privately rented house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I can't imagine you'd be entitled to any sort of housing allowance - your grant is supposed to cover that. Student accommodation is usually quite cheap.

In your friend's case, because she is eligible for social housing, she may be entitled to rent supplement in the meantime. This is determined on a case-by-case basis - she should contact her local social welfare department to see if she's entitled to it.

Advertisement