Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good place to play online + software?

• 02-09-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I was hoping for some recommendations:

1. A good (and free) site to play on? Been playing on Yahoo but it's an absolute nightmare.

2. Good software to help me develop. I know Fritz is a popular program but maybe there's better out there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Redhotpawn or Gameknot.

I prefer RHP myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 looseliver

I use gameknot myself, i like the tournament feature.

I have both Fritz and chess master. Fritz is good for analysis but CM is more playable. it's much more like a video game with progressive opponents and players and boards you can unlock by getting better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Chess.com >>here<<!

Also, try chesstempo.com's game database >>here<< for exploring game openings!

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

I've been on chesscube.com for the last 3 years, I would recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I booted up my old PC yesterday, actually it was my 1st PC (back in 1997!!), the processor runs @ 120MHz, RAM=8MB, and it had a massive HardDrive @ 1GB :pac:, but.............it has an old Microsoft Chess game on it where the Chess computer is called Ziggurat.

I don't play much chess, and I think I might have beaten Ziggy!! only once, after utilizing several 'Back' buttons :rolleyes:

So I copied the game onto an old floppy disc then transfered it onto another machine to eventually get it on my current computer, Win 7, quad core @ 3GHz.............and it worked :eek: It was interesting to say the least how quickly it analyses the moves ahead compared to the old machine, ie. seconds instead of minutes.

It's a great program tho, especially for beginners, I'm not sure on how strong the 'engine' is, but it has some nice features, clock, move list, captured pieces list, and most interestingly the 'computer's thoughts', it also has 6 diff levels and a practice tab where you can set up the board any way you wish.

Advertisement