Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student, might lose part time job..

Options
  • 02-09-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

The job I'm in at the moment I've had since I was 19.. I decided that I wanted to go back to college so I got a part time contract.. I am an independent mature student, and I get €130 a month and my fees paid by my grant.. I can't live at home as its too far away.

I'm just wondering what would happen if I lost my job? It's a possibility atm. If it's the case, what would happen? Would I ever be entitled to JSA or BTEA? Or am I in a category that falls between the cracks?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

if you loose your job within the college year
    you can apply for the student assistance fund within the college
    they can help you with food rent you may have to provide receipts
    so hang on to them !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

W86indow wrote: »
    if you loose your job within the college year
    you can apply for the student assistance fund within the college
    they can help you with food rent you may have to provide receipts
    so hang on to them !

ok, thanks. I'm just wondering about a long term solution, though? I'm just petrified I won't be abl e to find another job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

The job I'm in at the moment I've had since I was 19.. I decided that I wanted to go back to college so I got a part time contract.. I am an independent mature student, and I get €130 a month and my fees paid by my grant.. I can't live at home as its too far away.

I'm just wondering what would happen if I lost my job? It's a possibility atm. If it's the case, what would happen? Would I ever be entitled to JSA or BTEA? Or am I in a category that falls between the cracks?

Thanks

You won't be able to get BTEA unfortunately, but you can ask for your grant to be reassessed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I think you may fall between the cracks I'm afraid. You won't be eligible for JSB/JSA as being a student you arn't available for full-time work. To be eligible for BTEA one needs to be in receipt of certain State benefits for around 3 months before you start the course.

Info is here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html.

One option for next academic year is that you apply for the maintenance grant. Not much help for you this year I'm afraid.
    Another option is that some universities employ student help (shelving books in the library for example) - I am not sure with the cutbacks if this is still possible but it's worth looking into.

Advertisement