Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem connecting laptop to tv?

Options
  • 02-09-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Really, really would appreciate some advice here!!
    I have Netflix and want to connect the laptop to the tv so we can watch movies on the bigger screen. Bought the correct HDMI cable and connected them up but its only picture and no sound? We have tried every setting on the tv we can think of, we even brought the cable back to the shop and the guy tested it in front of us, its working fine, just not on our tv :(. The tv is a 42" Phillips tv model no 42PFL5322/10 if thats any help? Please ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The problem isn't your TV it's your laptop. Not all computers output audio on the internal HDMI socket. It may simply be a setting on the laptop or you may need to use the headphone output or SPDIF output for full surround if one is available on your computer.

What's the make/model of the computer ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mamakitten

Hi its a Compaq Presario CQ50, its almost 4 yrs old.I have gone through every possible setting I can find on it but I am not very techy so could easily have missed something :)

There are another 3 digits after CQ50, could you post them ? I've checked about 4 different models from that range and none have a HDMI socket.

Is it possible you were sold this ? There is only 1 "kind" of HDMI connection which looks like this. Does either look familiar ?

Ken

hi, thanks so much for your help with this! The laptop is a CQ-50110EM (or at least thats the code on the back) and the second pic, the HDMI cable, is the one we have. The laptop definitely has a HDMI port, it says it on the side :)

Have a read of the Troubleshooting HDMI Audio Issues near the bottom of this page and see if that resolves the issue. Let us know how you get on.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

have you anything else plugged into the hdmi ports i plugged my l;aptop in (works fine on our main tv ) plugged into a small sony tv we have and dint work, dug through the menus and the hdmi was swithed off switched it on and voila worked perfectly - just a thought

Hi just to say we eventually got it sorted thanks! For some unknown reason the sound wont play through the tv but it will play through speakers connected to the laptop after a bit of jiggling with settings, so we can now watch Netflix on the big screen (or rather the kids can lol). Thanks again for all the help and advice.

The Specs for your laptop say it puts out audio via the HDMI socket ! Did you try the trouble shooting tips I linked to in post 6 above ? If so, what happened ?

Ken

Advertisement