Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty Car Insurance, repairs/rental car

Options
  • 02-09-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭

hey guys

I have standard 3rd party fire and theft insurance with liberty on my car. Do you know if the policy covers me for a rental while my car is in the garage getting fixed?

it broke down on me in Wexford the other day and had to get the train back to Dublin. Now will be without car until Thursday at least. I cant find my policy documents or anything online.

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

http://www.libertyinsurance.ie

On their car section they have their policy documents in pdf format.

http://www.libertyinsurance.ie/documents/motor_policy_roi.pdf

Generally 3rd party, fire & theft policies do not provide rental car cover. In fact most policies of that kind provide nothing to do you other than what they are called.

Third party cover for damage to other cars, fire & theft in case your car goes up in flame or is robbed.

What you require is usually found in the fully comp or if you were in an accident where someone else is at fault, you would go through their insurance and could get a rental car cover which the cost is covered by the other persons insurance also.

srumball wrote: »
    it broke down on me in Wexford the other day and had to get the train back to Dublin.
    Cheers

In this case unless you had an extra option for rental cover and paid for it, you would not be covered for a rental car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Your car broke down, was not in an accident, and thus cant claim anything off them for it. Even if you were in an accident, your insurance wouldnt cover your repairs if you at fault. you cant get a rental car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ricky18ponting

I am agree that in general 3rd party, fire & theft policies do not provide rental car cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

As Chris85 said above, its got nothing to do with the level of cover OP holds, third party fire and theft, or comprehensive. His car had a mechanical failure. There is no claim. And therefore no entitlement to anything.

Not necessarily true. Depending on each individuals policies, some fully comp policies can be used so to speak in cases of mechanical failure. My father had awful trouble with a turbo on his old focus. His policy allowed him to get towed it towed from the motorway to the garage as he was fully comp. It didn't affect his NCB or premium and he wasn't stuck with the same company in order to keep his NCB.

completely wrong! You are referring to the breakdown benefit provided by a policy which will probably do an hours work by the roadside or tow you to the nearest garage or home, whichever is the closer. Its not provided under every policy. They all have their stipulations but they definitely will not just give you a rental car.

Some may have a feature where the breakdown provider would provide you with a vehicle to complete your journey or stay overnight until the vehicle is repaired but unlikely to be standard under a policy. And more likely to be an add-on cover.

I'm not completely wrong. I clearly said some policies and it depends on what the individuals policy said. My above post was in reply to your post about not insurance companies having absolutely nothing to do with a mechanical break down. I was simply posting that in some instances, if you have the correct cover, then your insurance policy may be of some use.

not for car hire.

• Advertisement

Not saying in that particular post that it would cover for car hire. Merely was replying to your post implying that insurance can't be touched in any circumstances for mechanical failure. That is untrue as depending on the policy you have, you could use certain things such as the towing to nearest garage. As for the OP yes the insurance won't be any use to him at all in any way shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Liberty Insurance: Philip

Hi Srumball,

Unfortunately your policy wouldn't cover you for a rental car. We do offer an option to temporarily substitute your own car on your policy with another privately owned car or a car supplied by the garage which may be available to you. Let me know if you'd like more details on this or PM me your details if you'd like me to get someone to call you about it.

Thanks for getting in touch,

Philip

Advertisement