Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas and James at Mallow

Options
  • 02-09-2012 5:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

looked at these close up yesterday and was surprised that they are actually rail mounted, it looks like platelayers bogies (or just wheels were used) any info?

what is the electric pump thing next to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

They are made of platelayer bogie wheelsets alright. Awful looking slapped-together things with a weird juxtapostion of a dilapidated footbridge/mannequin in a kiosk/signalling junk.

The copyright holders would not be too pleased if they knew about them. They're quite strict on the running of Thomas events on preserved lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

The copyright holders would not be too pleased if they knew about them. They're quite strict on the running of Thomas events on preserved lines.

How do you contact them, have seen another poor imitation that needs to be stopped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

How do you contact them, have seen another poor imitation that needs to be stopped

That's some freedom, Captain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

The Fat Controller
    Tidmouth Station
    Sodor

tel 0044 1264 662525

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

PICS or GTFO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Here they are http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/5303114757/ almost unbelievable - nearly as good as the Clonakilty Model Railway Village. :D

It's touching to see your concern for big business but I'm sure that they have bigger fish to fry. Here's all the info you need for your really worthwhile muck stirring. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britt_Allcroft :rolleyes:

Here they are http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/5303114757/ almost unbelievable - nearly as good as the Clonakilty Model Railway Village. :D

My eyes! My eyes! :D

They are made of platelayer bogie wheelsets alright. Awful looking slapped-together things with a weird juxtapostion of a dilapidated footbridge/mannequin in a kiosk/signalling junk.

These aren't running anywhere!

You could always have an 071 on a piece of track and start it every week or so for the amusement of C&T's gricers

*Deleted in case someone advocates reducing the Irish railway network to just that*

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jasus

who thought that was ever a good idea?

• Advertisement

jasus

who thought that was ever a good idea?

Evidently, some staff in Mallow. You should see the way they do Xmas decorations/lights there, like they were put up by Stevie Wonder after a night on the town.

It's touching to see your concern for big business but I'm sure that they have bigger fish to fry. Here's all the info you need for your really worthwhile muck stirring. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britt_Allcroft :rolleyes:

I think Hit Entertainment have the Thomas brand now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i beleive Britt sold up some time ago....

Tut,tut - it's all in the Wiki link that I posted, anyway I doubt they will be checking out Mallow station anytime this millenium. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Tut,tut - it's all in the Wiki link that I posted, anyway I doubt they will be checking out Mallow station anytime this millenium. :D

You'd be sure to find out who owns him if you run a Thomas the Tank Engine event somewhere. There has been many a line in the UK hit with with copyright infringment claims for doing just that.

You'd be sure to find out who owns him if you run a Thomas the Tank Engine event somewhere. There has been many a line in the UK hit with with copyright infringment claims for doing just that.

There must be hundreds of playgrounds all over Britain and Ireland with mock Thomases, can't think they'd be zealous about those. I can understand however the copyright holders seeking a cut out of rail events with a "Thomas" theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There must be hundreds of playgrounds all over Britain and Ireland with mock Thomases, can't think they'd be zealous about those. I can understand however the copyright holders seeking a cut out of rail events with a "Thomas" theme.

Chances are that the council ones would be legit and licenced, so to speak.

I preferred Ivor. He had a better life if you ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

36efc1d2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Its that and it weakens the brand too, ie cheap copies.

Having had a trawl through the net and a rethink, the Mallow atrocities would be allowable as no-one's making money out of them. If say, someone had a 'Thomas' feature in a pay-to-enter park then the legal team would be perfectly within their rights to have a go.

• Advertisement

Having had a trawl through the net and a rethink, the Mallow atrocities would be allowable as no-one's making money out of them. If say, someone had a 'Thomas' feature in a pay-to-enter park then the legal team would be perfectly within their rights to have a go.

What's worse I believe was fairly recently when I was at Dunboyne Station on a Saturday morning and the woman with her three year old could barely contain her excitement when the 29K was coming down the line from the Parkway.

"Oh, look! The Choo-Choo is coming! Isn't it exciting!" and kept that line of banter up for the singularly unimpressed child, who was obviously expecting Happy Face Thomas winking at her coming down the line given Mammy's hype.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Fair dues to the lads in mallow for getting up and doing it... My small fella would love that...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hiddenagenda

I can understand where JD is coming from as regards rights and patents. I wonder what would happen if the boys in mallow put two Leprechaun faces on the front or may be two black or even Chinese styled fronts on the display, the local press would have a field day with accusations of racism or bigotry and i think you can see where this would leave it all with yes you guessed it, why did,nt they put child friendly and recognisable features that would appeal to children and brighten up their day.Personally i think every station should have them but that,s just my opinion ( not as an enthusiast ) as a daddy who love,s to see all kids smile.:D

Advertisement