Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felix Sturm vs Daniel Geale-Result inside

Options
  • 01-09-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭

Just watching Sturm/Geale and as usual I'm finding the commentator's view and mine at odds.

Sturm, as usual, is keeping a tight guard and picking his punches nicely, but any time Geale comes forward and lands one or two body punches and hits Sturm's gloves he gets all excited - "Sturm is unravelling here", "Sturm has no answer" etc.

It's definitely a close fight, but is it any wonder people often give out about a decision when being strongly influenced by a commentator's opinion, which is not always correct.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

megadodge wrote: »
    Just watching Sturm/Geale and as usual I'm finding the commentator's view and mine at odds.

Sturm, as usual, is keeping a tight guard and picking his punches nicely, but any time Geale comes forward and lands one or two body punches and hits Sturm's gloves he gets all excited - "Sturm is unravelling here", "Sturm has no answer" etc.

It's definitely a close fight, but is it any wonder people often give out about a decision when being strongly influenced by a commentator's opinion, which is not always correct.

You're dead right, he calls a lot of blocked punches as landed aswell. Funnily enough one round he was raving about Geale at the start (where in fairness he was dominating), he simply forgot about that work later when as Sturm edged the rest of the round he declared it a 'clear round for Sturm'

I've got it level after 10.

Kinda hijacked my own thread but Geale has done it for me, 115-113, wouldn't complain about a draw or the same score the other way however.

Great to see some of these top Middleweight's mixing it up, and with Chavez jnr vs Martinez to come and Golovkin vs Proksa, finally we're getting these guys to fight each other. Pirog, N'Jikam and Quillin also in the mix. Cracking weight division.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Geale takes it on a split.
    Very close fight and a lot of rounds hard to score, but two judges scored 116-112 for either guy. This is kind of like what Walshb often says, that even in a close fight, if you prefer one fighter's style over the others (legitimately) and give some real close rounds to the same fighter, you can have an 8 point swing.

A fantastic fight, both good quality fighters and well done to Geale who's gone to Germany and done it again.

Winning this pretty much confirms Geale as the #1 contender in the division at the moment to face World Champion Martinez (after Chavez jnr of course who takes on Martinez in 2 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Was a decent fight. Sturm has been found out I think, he looked slow & cumbersome. Fair dues to Geale, its nice to see boxers getting the nod in Germany when its deserved.

Cant help but think that Sergio would school both Sturm & Geale.

• Advertisement

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Was a decent fight. Sturm has been found out I think, he looked slow & cumbersome. Fair dues to Geale, its nice to see boxers getting the nod in Germany when its deserved.

Cant help but think that Sergio would school both Sturm & Geale.

I wouldn't say he has been found out as such, but at 33 and having been in some tough fights maybe time is starting to get the better of him. I felt Martin Murray was very lucky to get a draw with Sturm, and Sturm looked alright beating the decent Zbik in his next fight after that, so I wouldn't say this has been coming or anything.

A lot of it I would put down to the quality of Geale, I've rated him since he pushed Mundine close, and he's improved a bit since then. Not many guys are even able to attempt a jabbing battle with Sturm, but Geale at times did, and sometimes got the better of it.

I think Sergio or Chavez jnr would eat up Geale, but I'm not so sure they'd be able to do the same to Sturm. Look at the trouble Barker gave Martinez, and I do wonder if Sturm could do something similar but more effective. I think Sturm would be able to pose Chavez some terrible trouble with his jab, with how deficient jnr's defence can be at times, although ultimately I think the way Sturm just gives up his body to be hit much like Abraham would be his undoing.

Unsurprisingly Golovkin looked sensational in disposing of Proksa at the weekend. I've been a bit quiet talking about him cause I wasn't sure if he'd ever get outside of fighting in places like Ukraine, Panama and Kazhkstan and find himself in some big fights. But he made his US debut on Saturday night, and looked his normal composed, accurate, dynamite fisted self.
    Despite being a small Middleweight, I think he may very well be good enough to beat the lot. What a division !

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Super month of Boxing ahead! Cant wait for Martinez/Chavez, Lopez/Alvarez , Ward/Dawson and even Martinez/Frampton should be a great bout.

No doubt Chavez/Martinez is the pick of them. Chavez has gone from being overrated to seriously underrated in my book and could well beat the champion.
    What a month in store!

minty16 wrote: »
    Super month of Boxing ahead! Cant wait for Martinez/Chavez, Lopez/Alvarez , Ward/Dawson and even Martinez/Frampton should be a great bout.

No doubt Chavez/Martinez is the pick of them. Chavez has gone from being overrated to seriously underrated in my book and could well beat the champion.
    What a month in store!

Martinez dropped out, it's Frampton vs Steve Molitor for Framtpon's Commonwealth title now. Still a cracking fight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Big Ears wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he has been found out as such, but at 33 and having been in some tough fights maybe time is starting to get the better of him. I felt Martin Murray was very lucky to get a draw with Sturm, and Sturm looked alright beating the decent Zbik in his next fight after that, so I wouldn't say this has been coming or anything.

A lot of it I would put down to the quality of Geale, I've rated him since he pushed Mundine close, and he's improved a bit since then. Not many guys are even able to attempt a jabbing battle with Sturm, but Geale at times did, and sometimes got the better of it.

I think Sergio or Chavez jnr would eat up Geale, but I'm not so sure they'd be able to do the same to Sturm. Look at the trouble Barker gave Martinez, and I do wonder if Sturm could do something similar but more effective. I think Sturm would be able to pose Chavez some terrible trouble with his jab, with how deficient jnr's defence can be at times, although ultimately I think the way Sturm just gives up his body to be hit much like Abraham would be his undoing.

Unsurprisingly Golovkin looked sensational in disposing of Proksa at the weekend. I've been a bit quiet talking about him cause I wasn't sure if he'd ever get outside of fighting in places like Ukraine, Panama and Kazhkstan and find himself in some big fights. But he made his US debut on Saturday night, and looked his normal composed, accurate, dynamite fisted self.
    Despite being a small Middleweight, I think he may very well be good enough to beat the lot. What a division !

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that thought Murray was lucky against Sturm. It's funny how that never gets mentioned in the "German decisions" debate.

Anyway, with regard to Golovkin, I'm more impressed every time I see him. Very well rounded, hard and accurate puncher, intelligent, but most of all as you said, he's very composed. Always seems in control of himself and whatever situation he finds himself in. Can't see him getting too ruffled when in or out of the ring against Martinez or Chavez or whoever. I hope he gets the big fights he deserves, but I've a funny feeling nobody will want to take him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Strum was not found out. He has been a great champion however in the last few years he was there for taking. I'd say Macklin and was it Barker? are kicking themselves...

• Advertisement
Advertisement