Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Dogfish

Options
  • 01-09-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Indeed.. I apologise in advance if this isn't the right place to post but I wonder if anyone has an explanation for the dozens of dead dogfish-type fish that have been washing up on Balbriggan beach the last few days. One was about 1m long and as thick as my arm *snigger*.

The fish haven't been touched by the gulls - with the possible exception of their heads - but these may just be decomposing faster.

I know there was an (untreated?) sewage drain into the sea locally last weekend... but would untreated sewage do this kind of damage?

:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

RollYerOwn wrote: »
    Indeed.. I apologise in advance if this isn't the right place to post but I wonder if anyone has an explanation for the dozens of dead dogfish-type fish that have been washing up on Balbriggan beach the last few days. One was about 1m long and as thick as my arm *snigger*.

The fish haven't been touched by the gulls - with the possible exception of their heads - but these may just be decomposing faster.

I know there was an (untreated?) sewage drain into the sea locally last weekend... but would untreated sewage do this kind of damage?

:confused:

Discarded by commercial fishermen, most likely. Dogfish have little commercial value except as bait for lobster pots, so most commercial men will dump them over the side. The one about 1m long was probably a greater spotted dogfish (bull huss) as the LSD's don't grow this big.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Zzippy wrote: »
    Discarded by commercial fishermen, most likely. Dogfish have little commercial value except as bait for lobster pots, so most commercial men will dump them over the side. The one about 1m long was probably a greater spotted dogfish (bull huss) as the LSD's don't grow this big.

or rod and line fishermen?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

danbrosnan wrote: »
    or rod and line fishermen?

Unlikely - the numbers suggest commercial, and the vast majority of anglers would put doggies back alive - they're pretty hardy fish and survive being caught and released quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I realise this is a fairly old thread but I noticed lots of these poor fish washed up only a few weeks ago all along the Sandycove/Dun Laoghaire coast. What is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 patgmail

They often get caught in commercial nets are are discarded overboard this is most probably what happened in this case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement