Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Allen Car book?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Which do you want to do ,Control or stop your drinking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Danye

realies wrote: »
    Which do you want to do ,Control or stop your drinking ?

Stop I suppose. Have you had any experience with any of these books?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I read the 'control' one. It actually leads to telling you to quit by the end of the book, the theory being you can never 'control' it.

So they would both have the same message, basically. It was a good book, as with all Carr books, it was based on counter-brainwashing and common sense.

I also recommend Jason Vales Stop Drinking 4 Life Easily. Don't buy both Carr and Vale though, it's basically the same message.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Danye wrote: »
    Stop I suppose. Have you had any experience with any of these books?

:o Actually no :o But have heard good reviews about them ;)

hubba wrote: »
    I read the 'control' one. It actually leads to telling you to quit by the end of the book, the theory being you can never 'control' it.

So they would both have the same message, basically. It was a good book, as with all Carr books, it was based on counter-brainwashing and common sense.

I also recommend Jason Vales Stop Drinking 4 Life Easily. Don't buy both Carr and Vale though, it's basically the same message.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I'm almost certain I had the same one before from the libary and it seemed to be working so I actually stopped reading it. :p I didn't and don't have a problem with drink but I was reading it out of curiosity.

It seemed good though. Have you given up drink since you read this book?

• Advertisement

Yes, I am a year and 3 months free of alcohol. :)

Yes, I am a year and 3 months free of alcohol. :)

Brilliant!! :) So would you recommend the one that you read over the other one then?

Well I read the Carr Control one first because I wasn't ready to give up just then and felt annoyed when it turned out he said to give up at the end. So I left it to the side for a year or two but the see was sown.

Then I ordered the Jason Vale book, knowing I was 'going to do it for real this time', and I did. The Vale book is younger, peppier and just full of energy and enthusiasm.

So, they both have their merits depending on where you are in your life but the latter was the one which worked for me (along with informing myself, being prepared for change, having a plan in place etc etc etc).

Well I read the Carr Control one first because I wasn't ready to give up just then and felt annoyed when it turned out he said to give up at the end. So I left it to the side for a year or two but the see was sown.

Then I ordered the Jason Vale book, knowing I was 'going to do it for real this time', and I did. The Vale book is younger, peppier and just full of energy and enthusiasm.

So, they both have their merits depending on where you are in your life but the latter was the one which worked for me (along with informing myself, being prepared for change, having a plan in place etc etc etc).

That's grand. Thanks a million for the info and congrats on your success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Both of the Allen Carr books are exactly the same, just with different titles. (He says the only way to control drinking is to stop it altogether.)

I did find the book helpful to a degree but "Rational Recovery" by Jack Trimpey is the book that made me happily quit the booze for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

I'm kinda the same as that - read the allen carr and at the end was peed off it was to stop all together - been about 6 months since I read it.

I want to give up though so the Jason Vale book sounds good. - Ill get it for my kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I read the Allen Carr book seven years ago and haven't touched a drop since and never will. Drink was a big part of my life for quite a few years, I never missed a day off work, could function perfectly well in any situation but couldn't wait until I finished work to open up my flagon of white lightning with an energy drink top and buzz the night away until about eleven when I was warm and fuzzy then it was time to eat. Frozen chips etc. This went on for a few years until I was just sick and tired of what I was doing to myself. I had crazy thoughts, even questioned if there was a devil making me do this to myself. ( I am an athiest, never even been christened) Saw my local GP, just for a chat, advised me on cutting back, bollocks. One day I was browsing my local bookstore in Edinburgh and came across Allens book. I didn't even realise that books were written about this subject, I didn't even realise what the self help section in a bookshop even was ? I browsed through the book thought what have I got to lose and bought it. Up until I started reading the book I thought the only way to beat drinking was the twelve steps thing that keeps popping up (which my father needed), but no. THIS WAS THE BEST EIGHT POUND THAT I HAD EVER SPENT IN MY ENTIRE LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The book does not brainwash you at all, it just reminds you what our fickle brains have tricked us into thinking regarding alcohol. There is no great revelations inside, just things that we already know but have chosen to ignore/forget in favour of self destruction. The main difference between myself and the lucky people that the twelve steps has worked for is ; instead of being branded and the stigma that you are an alcoholic in recovery until the day you die, I JUST DON'T DRINK !!!!!!! I am not a recovering alcoholic, I just don't drink, the same way that I dont inject heroin, the same way that I don't molest children, the same way that I don't eat meat. Drink is purely just not part of my life anymore, and do you know what I am missing out on ? **** All. Buy the book, it might just save your life because it saved mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

I read the Allen Carr book seven years ago and haven't touched a drop since and never will. Drink was a big part of my life for quite a few years, I never missed a day off work, could function perfectly well in any situation but couldn't wait until I finished work to open up my flagon of white lightning with an energy drink top and buzz the night away until about eleven when I was warm and fuzzy then it was time to eat. Frozen chips etc. This went on for a few years until I was just sick and tired of what I was doing to myself. I had crazy thoughts, even questioned if there was a devil making me do this to myself. ( I am an athiest, never even been christened) Saw my local GP, just for a chat, advised me on cutting back, bollocks. One day I was browsing my local bookstore in Edinburgh and came across Allens book. I didn't even realise that books were written about this subject, I didn't even realise what the self help section in a bookshop even was ? I browsed through the book thought what have I got to lose and bought it. Up until I started reading the book I thought the only way to beat drinking was the twelve steps thing that keeps popping up (which my father needed), but no. THIS WAS THE BEST EIGHT POUND THAT I HAD EVER SPENT IN MY ENTIRE LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The book does not brainwash you at all, it just reminds you what our fickle brains have tricked us into thinking regarding alcohol. There is no great revelations inside, just things that we already know but have chosen to ignore/forget in favour of self destruction. The main difference between myself and the lucky people that the twelve steps has worked for is ; instead of being branded and the stigma that you are an alcoholic in recovery until the day you die, I JUST DON'T DRINK !!!!!!! I am not a recovering alcoholic, I just don't drink, the same way that I dont inject heroin, the same way that I don't molest children, the same way that I don't eat meat. Drink is purely just not part of my life anymore, and do you know what I am missing out on ? **** All. Buy the book, it might just save your life because it saved mine.

Jason Vale's book "Kick The Drink Easily" is very similar to Allen Carr's and works brillantly. I read the book and got a whole new life. The book won't help everyone but it may help YOU.

Advertisement