Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend radio: any alternatives to sports?

Options
  • 01-09-2012 2:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Sport even dominates RnaG, my usual intelligent alternative to the mainstream, on a Saturday. RTÉ 1 is, as always, horrendous on Saturday and Sunday - as if the entire country is interested in sport. Newstalk is, well, soccer-obsessed crap as always. No surprises with that station, ever.

I never listen to the commercial radio stations and their incessantly repetitive formulae hammering home their radio promotions the whole time.

Why all the stations must have the same thing, sport, on at the same time is central to the lack of choice.

So, is there any alternative in Irish radio that provides thoughtful discussion during the time sports saturates the main radio stations? All I'm looking for is choice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Hard to find choice on Irish radio on weekends, weekend afternoons especially. Internet radio is your only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Sport even dominates RnaG, my usual intelligent alternative to the mainstream, on a Saturday. RTÉ 1 is, as always, horrendous on Saturday and Sunday - as if the entire country is interested in sport. Newstalk is, well, soccer-obsessed crap as always. No surprises with that station, ever.

I never listen to the commercial radio stations and their incessantly repetitive formulae hammering home their radio promotions the whole time.

Why all the stations must have the same thing, sport, on at the same time is central to the lack of choice.

So, is there any alternative in Irish radio that provides thoughtful discussion during the time sports saturates the main radio stations? All I'm looking for is choice.

Unfortunately for you, most sport happens over the weekend. you can't do a programme doing a football commentary on a Wednesday night if the matches are played on a Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Rebelheart I agree with you! It's dreadful! I sometimes travel up country to visit relatives at the weekend and I always have to remember to take along a few CDs. That is fine, but I would like to keep up to date with the news ...

I think RTE2 sometimes have music of some sort and there's Lyricfm if you can bear with a bit of classical occasionally.

And, of course, then there is/was the poxy Olympics. There should be a completely separate sports channel on radio and TV and leave the rest of us in peace. Oh, and while I think of it - another channel for all Soaps too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

I find myself listening to more podcasts than live radio recently. BBC World, Radio Netherlands (in English) and NPR are good options for intelligent speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

jrmb wrote: »
    I find myself listening to more podcasts than live radio recently. BBC World, Radio Netherlands (in English) and NPR are good options for intelligent speech.

Dont forget BBC R4. I love that channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭decies

torrentum wrote: »
    Dont forget BBC R4. I love that channel.

I love the test match special on radio 4

Advertisement