Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build installing ubuntu

Options
  • 01-09-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi

I am trying to install ubuntu on a custom build. I get a black screen saying to insert a os and I insert the CD with ubuntu and then get a purple screen with a keyboard icon and then I get no video output. It sounds like something is happening from the optical drive but I am getting no output on the monitor. There is no external graphics card.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wandererz

Any particular reason for running Ubuntu?

Have been running Linux Mint for a few months now with no problems.

Perhaps download a bootable ISO and see if that runs first. And if you're not fussed and it works....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rhavin

Sorry, I'm using a bootable iso burned onto a cd. No reason for ubuntu, I'm just used to it, however I'm more worried that there is something wrong with the build. I'm after trying the i386 version and I get as far as the install screen and then I get message
    /install/vmlinuz: file not found

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I would try burning again, could simply just be a bad burn.

Nick

OK, got it working. However when installing the os I get an error at the installing software step. Seems to be a bug so I think its time to try mint. Is there another problem now given that I've gone so far in trying to install ubuntu?

So hoping someone could help. I've tried install a few linux distro's, however I can't seem to figure it out. Some go straight to blank screen while some like ubuntu go to a black login screen. I know its something to do with the graphics. I'm using no external graphics card so I don't know what else to do. Even when ubuntu is perfectly installed I can't do a download of drivers because it fails to setup the network connection. It seems the only thing left to try is a install of windows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might try booting off USB with a live CD version installed onto USB stick with YUMI.
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Archer Hack

Your sure you have the right version to match your specs yeah? I'd second trying the usb boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Schorpio

If you're looking to install Ubuntu, and not just run it as a live OS, then I'd highly recommend the text-based installer, which is found on the "Alternate Install CD" here.

Often if a computer has trouble booting the live CD, this text based installer does the job. I find it easier to use because you skip straight to the install rather than booting a live OS.

OK, so I've tried the alternative install with the correct specs but I got the bug where it stops at select and install software. I tried the mini iso downloads from ubuntu and got it fully installed but I get a black screen with the usrname and password when I restart for the first boot. Also the network setup fails during first boot so I can't download drivers.

Thanks for the usb boot suggestion. I must pick up a usb key tomorrow.

So I've managed to get the alternative iso from ubuntu installed on my system. Got everything set up and working using the nomodeset option on the grub screen. Now my only problem is the resolution. Its set on 4:3 which is awful on my monitor and there doesn't seem to be any other options. The detect resolution thing thinks I've got a laptop. I looked at the details tab and its says I've got HD4000 graphics. Anyone ever come across this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

HD4000 is the integrated graphics in intel's processors. If you have a dedicated graphics card try updating the drivers, and make sure the monitor is connected to the GPU rather than the motherboard

I've no dedicated graphics card, I'm using the integrated graphics.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Intel drivers are well supported in ubuntu but this smacks of a driver issue. I think you would probably get a better response to this in the unix forum so I'm moving it there.

Thanks, At my wits end trying to get this thing up and running!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

if you login you can look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for some hints as to what is and isn't happening when x-windows starts up. You can also just try running startx at the prompt when you login to watch what happens and what error message you get.

I've had problems in the past because there were multiple possible drivers and the wrong one was selected. I could determine this from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Once I realised this I added the drivers that were being wrongly selected to a blacklisted file and that forced the correct one to be selected.
    From http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1739976
    I blacklisted the non-intel drivers. I created a w520.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d and added
    blacklist fbdev
    blacklist vesa

when you say the network isn't loaded you mean the onboard ethernet right?
    if you run the lspci command to list pci devices that would help you indentify the exact network device and then people can better help. But I don't think I ever had an onboard network device not be recognised!

I've managed to fix the wireless problem, I think your solution might be it. I was looking at some something last night (can't remember what) and I saw something about vesa drivers so I'll try and blacklist them and see what happens. I also updated the kernel but then I couldn't use any usb devices, i.e. keyboard and mouse so I switched back to the old kernel.

Advertisement