Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Mac Mini not getting 1000T network connection

Options
  • 01-09-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I recently had my HD fail in my Mac Mini ; so I ended up buying a new drive, and re-installing Snow Leopard (updated etc). However I no longer seem to be able to connect to my network at 1000T (1gig), I can only connect at 100. Prior to the HD failing, the Mini was connected at 1gig, and I know this because whenever I used speedtest.magnet.ie , I would get my UPC connection of 120/128mb down. Since the rebuild I'm only getting 90/100 - obviously due to the 100meg bottle neck. I have a 2nd Mac Mini 2008 model, on the same network, and this is running fine at 1gig. I also have my Windows gaming machine also running at 1gig.

I've so far changed the network cable 3 times (cat5e to 6 and back to the original cable). The switch/router I'm using is a cisco linksys WAG320N in purely bridging mode to my UPC network. I have read that the WAG320N didn't have 100% 802.1ab (i.e. its running a draft version) and this is causing the Mac Mini to use Flow control, whereas the switch isn't. But I can't understand how this was working 1 week ago and now fails to connect at 1gig. I also replaced the WAG320N with an X3000 but the same problem existed. When I manually change to 1gig, the network drops on the Mac.

Any advice or assistance would be much appreciated ! and other than this issue, the mac is running 100% for the last week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

lol - never give up folks, my new motto. I changed to yet another cat5e cable and I'm now back at 1000T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

well as I like talking to myself, I'll update the thread - I've discovered the problem. When changing to my latest network cable, I moved the switch. When I put it back into position, the speed dropped on the Mac Mini - it appears interference from something is causing the issues. I'm now back to a solid 1gig connection which results nicely to my web connection.

Advertisement