Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael's George Jones Has Highest "Expenses" Claimed IN THE COUNTRY at €83,000!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Have you got a link to what the 83k consists of? That indo article gives very little detail i.e. what 5 bodies the payments are from and what they specifically relate to in each case.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

George has served as Chairman of Wicklow County Council on four occasions and currently is serving his sixth term as Mayor of Greystones. He also serves as Chairman of the Wicklow County Development Board, Greystones Home Help Services, Wicklow-Würzburg Partnership and the La Touche Legacy Committee. He is also a Board member of the Mermaid Arts Centre Bray.

That's from his own website. Maybe he gets paid for some of these activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I have no time Jones or Harris and repeatedly losing interest in Donnelly even though his rhetoric on Newstalk this week may yet prove fruitful.

If George is able claim then it is the system that is flawed he is not claiming for anything he did not first pay out for. It's not extra pay in his pocket.

Don't like it, petition, vote, lobby, boycott..

• Registered Users Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think it's in relation to expense for Wicklow county council, Greystones Town Council, Wicklow VEC (I think he is on it) and then different committees or sub committees of those three.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If George is able claim then it is the system that is flawed he is not claiming for anything he did not first pay out for. It's not extra pay in his pocket.

I think (not 100% sure) some of the expenses are flat rate/unvouched so it potentially is extra money in his pocket

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Honestly! wrote: »
    This, my friends, is preposterous!

But sure he fixed the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

The expense system is a farce and there should be a cull on the number of councillors but that €83k figure is debatable. In the print edition it gave the breakdown and it includes a €39k salary that Jones receives as chairman of the IPB. It may be a state body but this can hardly be classified as an expense, it's a salary.
    Since Mr. Jones retired from his job a couple of years ago and housing and commercial developments came to a halt, his "expense" claims have soared. I cannot see how even 30% of this €83,000 claim could be justified and, I demand a full puiblic audit of all these claims.

What's the relevance of the part in bold OP?

mirrorball wrote: »
    The expense system is a farce and there should be a cull on the number of councillors but that €83k figure is debatable. In the print edition it gave the breakdown and it includes a €39k salary that Jones receives as chairman of the IPB. It may be a state body but this can hardly be classified as an expense, it's a salary.

What's the relevance of the part in bold OP?

Not sure what that is about in bold. What is the IPB?

Terry Pratchet

Not sure what that is about in bold. What is the IPB?

IPB Insurance http://www.ipb.ie/index.html

mirrorball wrote: »

What! So the indo article is highly inaccurate then!

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Not at all. Look back on what it says near the top:

An Irish Independent investigation reveals that our part-time politicians were paid an average of €31,600 each in salary, allowances, expenses and fees for sitting on a range of public bodies.

(My bold and italics)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

We found it amazing at the time that TD's expenses werent looked at more when the British MP's were being caught left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

What! So the indo article is highly inaccurate then!

Its not that its highly inaccuarate but it distorts the issue in order to make headlines. In doing so it distracts attention from the real issues of which there are three:

1. Half of the money Gerorge recieved is fees for performing a role in the IPB. He is perfectly entitled to this and, after a career in the industry, Im sure he is well qualified for the Job. This should not be in question.

2. All councillors are paid a salary for being councillors. (approx 17K pa.) This payment was introduced about 10 years ago during the Ahearn/McCreevy spending spree. George (and I for a while ) would have served as councillors voluntarily before this was introduced. The nation couldnt afford it before 10 years ago and we certainly cant afford these payments now. They are unnecessary and should be abolished.

3. On top of the salary councillors received round sum or unvouched allowances. I think these were always questionable. There were undoubted examples of abuse with councillors bringing there partners to conferences down the country on the strength of these expenses. In the current climate these expenses deserve review and at least restriction if not elimination.

The article is unfortunatly sensationalist singling out George for villification for no real reason and in so doing serves to distract attention from serious issues of waste that should have been adressed by this Government long ago.

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Its not that its highly inaccuarate but it distorts the issue in order to make headlines. In doing so it distracts attention from the real issues of which there are three:

1. Half of the money Gerorge recieved is fees for performing a role in the IPB. He is perfectly entitled to this and, after a career in the industry, Im sure he is well qualified for the Job. This should not be in question.

2. All councillors are paid a salary for being councillors. (approx 17K pa.) This payment was introduced about 10 years ago during the Ahearn/McCreevy spending spree. George (and I for a while ) would have served as councillors voluntarily before this was introduced. The nation couldnt afford it before 10 years ago and we certainly cant afford these payments now. They are unnecessary and should be abolished.

3. On top of the salary councillors received round sum or unvouched allowances. I think these were always questionable. There were undoubted examples of abuse with councillors bringing there partners to conferences down the country on the strength of these expenses. In the current climate these expenses deserve review and at least restriction if not elimination.

The article is unfortunatly sensationalist singling out George for villification for no real reason and in so doing serves to distract attention from serious issues of waste that should have been adressed by this Government long ago.

Great post, sums up the article and the situation perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Press release on Greystonesguide by Cllr. G. Jones.

"Press Release from Cllr George Jones

When I entered Local Government following the 1979 Election there were little or no expenses available , indeed I served 3 times as Chairman of Wicklow County Council when there was no “Chairman’s Allowance” My total motivation for standing for election was to bring real change and improvements to my area (Greystones, Delgany, Kilcoole and Newcastle)

In my 33 years service I have been to forefront of all campaigns to improve the area and bring about better facilities for all the community. I have been honoured to represent the entire community on Wicklow County Council since 1979 and Greystones Town Council since 1984. The voters have passed judgement on my work by re-electing me in every local election since 1979.

I find the comments of a Sinn Fein Councillor on this issue laughable when one considers that party along with their associates past record in the Republic and Northern Ireland and in more recent times the collection of thousands of pounds in expenses for absent MP’s in the UK Parliament.

The article in the Irish Independent included fees (€39,000 from IPB this is not a local government expense payment, the pay/fee/salary for the IPB work after Tax, PRSI and Universal Social Charge is €26,214).paid to me as Chairman and Non-Executive Director of Irish Public Bodies Mutual Insurance Company. This is not a Local Authority body or sub committee but a licensed Insurance Company regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. (Insuring Local Bodies and other Commercial Companies/Organisations) After retiring from a life time in the Insurance Industry I am putting the skills gained to the advantage of guiding this successful company during a period of renewal. The Department of Environment and Local Government have no role in the regulation and operation of IPBMI. The Newspaper was clearly advised of this position but choice to ignore in order to “spice up” their story. The fees for Non Executive Directors are set by the Board on the recommendation of outside professional agencies.

The total expenses for my role on Wicklow County Council, Wicklow County Development Board, the Mid East Regional Authority and Greystones Town Council is €39,519 a big difference from the headlines of €83000 package and in fact lower than a number of my colleagues in Wicklow.

The Article clearly stated that they had not obtained full details from a number of bodies and ignored the capacity of various Mayors to earn €120,000 to €140,000 in expenses along with free car , drivers and in the case of Dublin a house.

Cllr Jones concluded “the Irish Independent employed a photographer to hid in his car waiting for me to walk down the road where I live despite the fact there are hundreds of photos of me in all media outlets.

11/09/2012"

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Press release on Greystonesguide by Cllr. G. Jones.

"Press Release from Cllr George Jones

Cllr Jones concluded “the Irish Independent employed a photographer to hid in his car waiting for me to walk down the road where I live despite the fact there are hundreds of photos of me in all media outlets.

11/09/2012"
    :(

You know when a politician starts pointing the finger, blaming all around and proposing conspiracy theories that he wants to shift the focus from the indefensible. This €83k is a national disgrace, unnecessary, unearned, unwarranted and inexcusable.

Fine Gael were supposed to change these practices at the local and national level but Mr. Jones is a massive example of how the creaming off of our scarce resources has only gotten worse.

I have a relative in constant chronic pain with Multiple Sclerosis. A treatment which keeps her pain free was a real blessing but now because of FG sanctioned UCHG cuts she cannot get regualr appoinments, has become dependent on over the counter medication and is again in chronic pain. She cannot be the mother or wife she wants to be because of the cuts yet Mr. Jones arrogantly justifies €83k per annum for heading up a few quangos.

Sickening, it really is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

:(

You know when a politician starts pointing the finger, blaming all around and proposing conspiracy theories that he wants to shift the focus from the indefensible. This €83k is a national disgrace, unnecessary, unearned, unwarranted and inexcusable.

Fine Gael were supposed to change these practices at the local and national level but Mr. Jones is a massive example of how the creaming off of our scarce resources has only gotten worse.

I have a relative in constant chronic pain with Multiple Sclerosis. A treatment which keeps her pain free was a real blessing but now because of FG sanctioned UCHG cuts she cannot get regualr appoinments, has become dependent on over the counter medication and is again in chronic pain. She cannot be the mother or wife she wants to be because of the cuts yet Mr. Jones arrogantly justifies €83k per annum for heading up a few quangos.

Sickening, it really is sickening.

I really do not think that was the tone of his release Honestly, but I fully understand your frustration regarding your suffering relative.

However, I would say Cllr Jones situation is a grain of sand compared to the broader expense, jobs for the boys, money train, gombeen based national and local politics. But its FG exec rather than someone like Cllr Jones who need to change that.

Advertisement