Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City of Heroes to close

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I've been playing since March 2005. I know there was never really a big following for City of heroes in Ireland but it had a pretty decent community in the UK and the states.

The whole community is pretty devastated. The closure came out of the blue. The development team had just release new content last week and the next major update was in beta with details already emerging about the updates after that. Then they were told Friday morning not to come in on Monday...

Rumor is around licensing agreement and NCsoft not wanting to fork out the money. The coming week might tell more.

For a vet of the game, i'm pretty disappointing... Imagine your MMO being shut down (WOW, EVE, etc...) thats how I feel right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Shame, but tbh I've been kind of expecting this since it went F2P.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OmegaRed wrote: »
    I've been playing since March 2005. I know there was never really a big following for City of heroes in Ireland but it had a pretty decent community in the UK and the states.

The whole community is pretty devastated. The closure came out of the blue. The development team had just release new content last week and the next major update was in beta with details already emerging about the updates after that. Then they were told Friday morning not to come in on Monday...

Rumor is around licensing agreement and NCsoft not wanting to fork out the money. The coming week might tell more.

For a vet of the game, i'm pretty disappointing... Imagine your MMO being shut down (WOW, EVE, etc...) thats how I feel right now....

You can always hold out for the code base to be realised open source, and for it to become popular in private servers.

It is not uncommon for a developer to bring it with him on exit, or for it even to be hacked, and you get to carry on through a private server.

Its a hopeful alternative to full closure.

One that might be worth getting something arranged and posted on their forums. If people could privately host WoW servers on old linux boxes in their shed, you can do it with this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Its a shame, but for me seeing it go F2P hinted at it's demise :(

Great game tbh, have played it on and off since it was released here and had some fun times while chatting/teaming with some cool people (how it usually is with an mmo you like).

Advertisement