Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about College?

Options
  • 31-08-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I don't want to come across as being overly negative, but I'm starting to get a bit nervous about college and I'm worried it will be too difficult. I'm starting a Biology course next week. I think it's a pretty good course that will give me plenty of opportunities if I graduate.
    To be honest I never worked hard enough in secondary school and I suppose I'm trying to make up for it now. I definitely am going to put the work in and make the most of whatever potential I have.

So what i'm trying to ask is if there's anyone else in the same situation?
    If anyone has done well in a course that you originally thought would be too difficult, please share! All positive stories welcome!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Hi everyone,
    I don't want to come across as being overly negative, but I'm starting to get a bit nervous about college and I'm worried it will be too difficult. I'm starting a Biology course next week. I think it's a pretty good course that will give me plenty of opportunities if I graduate.
    To be honest I never worked hard enough in secondary school and I suppose I'm trying to make up for it now. I definitely am going to put the work in and make the most of whatever potential I have.

So what i'm trying to ask is if there's anyone else in the same situation?
    If anyone has done well in a course that you originally thought would be too difficult, please share! All positive stories welcome!:D

If you didn't put the work in in School you have to ask yourself why?

Where you bored out of your skull? Are you just lazy?

You need to be honest with yourself and honest in what you want to achieve. One of the best pieces of advice I've seen for motivation is for every 20 minutes of study - give yourself 20 minute of Telly, Computer, Facebook whatever. Gradually reduce this.

You have your first year to settle in so don't be overly concerned - just try and set yourself a plan of study and stick to it. Go to every lecture and set yourself study periods. If you miss a study period make sure you do it another time. Above all be realistic - if you plan a 50 hour week you're unlikely to stick to it. Try 30 hours inc your lectures - if that's too much reduce it. Increase it overtime. When you study - STUDY - this is my worst failing. Everything off (ooh er!) Mobile - Facebook - TV off. If this means ten minutes is the best you can do then do ten minutes and have a ten minute break.

As you adjust you'll get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

Im ****ting it xD starting accountancy and finance in dkit on the 10th... What age are you?
    I just turned 17 and might get picked on because of my age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Affluenza wrote: »
    Im ****ting it xD starting accountancy and finance in dkit on the 10th... What age are you?
    I just turned 17 and might get picked on because of my age

College is totally different to School - that kind of thing thankfully gets left at School. You might get the odd p!ss take because you can't go to the pub but nothing to be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It is only natural to feel nervous about college, or any new adventure for that matter.

As others have said, it is nothing like school - you get out what you put in. If you find something difficult, there are many resources to help you understand - fellow students, the library, academic staff, even Boards.ie.

It will take a bit of getting used to, having so much freedom to do what you want, but enjoy it!

Advertisement