Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Internet?

Options
  • 31-08-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

As one of those poor unfortunates who STILL doesn't have broadband in the area, I'm relying on Meteor 20gb for 20 quid a month.

Been looking at the 3 broadband modem as it says that you can get 60gb for 30 quid a month instead!

Anyone have any references as to how good the 3 modem is? Also how many megs is used to general online gaming? Was thinking on getting the wireless modem to get Xbox Live!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

As one of those poor unfortunates who STILL doesn't have broadband in the area, I'm relying on Meteor 20gb for 20 quid a month.

Been looking at the 3 broadband modem as it says that you can get 60gb for 30 quid a month instead!

Anyone have any references as to how good the 3 modem is? Also how many megs is used to general online gaming? Was thinking on getting the wireless modem to get Xbox Live!

Three aren't great in my experience but it might depend on where you live, too many people use it and it gets ridiculously slow at times imo. But having said that, at non peak times it is quite fast.

I'd try borrow a modem from someone who already has a three modem and check it before you sign up to a contract and are stuck with a useless modem for 12 months. And check at different times in the day.

edit: Are you already using a three modem? Surely you know yourself then what they're like

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ThePhantomYoda

Nope I'm not using the 3 modem, I have one or two friends who has it so I might take your opinion and just give it a try anyway!

Don't get me wrong, the Meteor broadband is relatively fast where I live, but it's just the 20gb a month isn't enough, especially if 3 give you triple that for €10 extra!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Nope I'm not using the 3 modem, I have one or two friends who has it so I might take your opinion and just give it a try anyway!

The more people that use modems around you the worse the service gets eventually the speed can go down to almost nil...So if you get a good service do not tell your neighbours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

if you have a phone that can tether such as an Iphone or Android which shares the phones internet wirelessly you can get unlimited internet with three for 20 euro a month. You are allowed to tether on 3pay. I did it the whole time, rang up and asked them. Sumtin like this would do the job http://www.three.ie/deals/samsung-galaxy-mini.html

areyawell wrote: »
    if you have a phone that can tether such as an Iphone or Android which shares the phones internet wirelessly you can get unlimited internet with three for 20 euro a month. You are allowed to tether on 3pay. I did it the whole time, rang up and asked them. Sumtin like this would do the job http://www.three.ie/deals/samsung-galaxy-mini.html

on new contracts with three tethering is not allowed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

bealtine wrote: »
    on new contracts with three tethering is not allowed

I switched to three and it works. Its pay as you go not contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ThePhantomYoda

Well I've never had any problem with connectivity and the coverage has been fantastic!

And I also have a Blackberry so the internet isn't up to scratch on that either even though the Blackberry Subscription gives me unlimited internet anyway

Well I've never had any problem with connectivity and the coverage has been fantastic!

Whatever you do DONT tell your neighbours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

Hi, I accept that this post is not in correct location, but I cant find any way of starting new thread. I switched service providers on my Mobile phone. I found that the previous provider took over my internet settings and web pages. I had to restore factory settings, which got rid of the "lodger" but also got rid of my internet. Anyone advise on re-installing new browser. Thanks.

Advertisement