Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem opening zip files on other macs and Windows PCs

Options
  • 31-08-2012 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i need help here big time

I have to upload a college project which i have done but here is the problem the file is a zip file. It can only open on my own mac and no ones else's and the same for the pc

Just wondering what might be the problem ??? and whats the easyist way to fix it

I am running 10.8.1 on the mac and Windows 7 on the PC thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi guys i need help here big time

I have to upload a college project which i have done but here is the problem the file is a zip file. It can only open on my own mac and no ones else's and the same for the pc

Just wondering what might be the problem ??? and whats the easyist way to fix it

I am running 10.8.1 on the mac and Windows 7 on the PC thanks

Try using another zipping program, and make sure you choose the .zip format (not .ace, .rar, .tar etc.). No clue about one on a Mac, is Stuffit the main one still?

Nick

Edit: you could try this

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

If you are creating .zip files on the Mac, try the built in hidden one
    ( video is for 10.5, called BOMArchiveHelper, is called Archive Utility on 10.8 )

Make sure it is set for zip format.

Note: Yoyo's suggestion does not seem to create zips.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Compression formats supported:
    7z, Zip, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, DMG, ISO

It does. source

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Interestingly the option to create an Alias of the app is disabled. Greyed out in the menu and cmd+L doesn't do anything !

Ken

Advertisement