Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for BTEA to go through?

Options
  • 31-08-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I am told the Department of Social & Family Affairs cannot process any BTEA application until I have a letter of registration from my university which they will not make available until registration mid September.

Will it take long for the BTEA to go through? Am I supposed to cancel my social welfare payment as soon as I start studying?

I will find it very hard to attend university, let alone survive if I am stuck in limbo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kapa

Hi dusf. I am in the same position as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

kapa wrote: »
    Hi dusf. I am in the same position as you.

Hello there.

Have you already handed in your application or are you waiting until you have the letter of registration from your institution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

dusf wrote: »
    I am told the Department of Social & Family Affairs cannot process any BTEA application until I have a letter of registration from my university which they will not make available until registration mid September.

Will it take long for the BTEA to go through? Am I supposed to cancel my social welfare payment as soon as I start studying?

I will find it very hard to attend university, let alone survive if I am stuck in limbo.

You do not cancel your sw payment. This will be paid until your btea is decided. If you are not allowed btea then your claim will be closed. I presume you know the criteria for btea. Do you have a letter of acceptance from the college? Have you submitted you btea application? Your application cannot be processed until you have the letter of registration.. You should also apply for the grant to cover registration fee. You cannot get maintenance grant and btea but you can get grant to cover registration along with btea.

eastbono wrote: »
    I presume you know the criteria for btea. Do you have a letter of acceptance from the college? Have you submitted you btea application? Your application cannot be processed until you have the letter of registration.. You should also apply for the grant to cover registration fee. You cannot get maintenance grant and btea but you can get grant to cover registration along with btea.

Yeah, I'm eligible for BTEA so not too worried. My university won't give me the letter until registration is complete, so hopefully I can get it the first day I start.

I do not have a registration fee, this first year is a pre-science access programme at the university paid for entirely by the university.

It makes me sick not being able to get both, I know someone who got both only a few years ago, and worked, he was a very flush student.

*Edit* Also, I have the BTEA form, not handed in yet but mostly complete as I know they need the letter. Probably might be a wise move to get it in at least a bit early though.

I handed in my application and when I get a letter from the College to confirm that I am registered, I need to bring that in. I dont know how long after that it will take

• Advertisement

kapa wrote: »
    I handed in my application and when I get a letter from the College to confirm that I am registered, I need to bring that in. I dont know how long after that it will take

Good to hear we don't have to cancel the SW payment though, right? :)

Is it the exact same amount as the SW payment we are on, or a little bit more?

Right, Its the exact same amount 188 and we get 300 for books etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

dusf wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm eligible for BTEA so not too worried. My university won't give me the letter until registration is complete, so hopefully I can get it the first day I start.

I do not have a registration fee, this first year is a pre-science access programme at the university paid for entirely by the university.

It makes me sick not being able to get both, I know someone who got both only a few years ago, and worked, he was a very flush student.

*Edit* Also, I have the BTEA form, not handed in yet but mostly complete as I know they need the letter. Probably might be a wise move to get it in at least a bit early though.

You should be able to apply for btea with the acceptance letter from the college. You can then submit proof of registration once you get that. With regard to maintenance and registration grant this has been done away with for people in receipt of btea. People on btea can now only receive registration gran. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately. You will also get €300 book allowance. It was €500 last year so hope its not reduced further in the budget. Best of luck with your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

i handed in my btea form with my letter that i have been accepted onto the access programme and i got a letter today saying it was approved but i cannot get a payment until they receive a registration letter so i don't no because my regestration is not untill the 20th but my coarse starts the 10th.

i handed my letter and form in last Tuesday and got my approval letter of btea today which was less than a week very quick

only problam is i dont no when ill get my first payment

Advertisement