Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Mankading" and the Spirit of the Game!

Options
  • 31-08-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Can't understand the furore over the apparent Mankading by Murali Kartik in the Somerset vs Surrey county cricket game on at Taunton as being against the spirit of the game.

The stupidity of the batsman (Barrow - runner) to keep backing up inspite of being warned by the bowler is being swept below the carpet and the bowler (Murali Kartik) and his captain (Gareth Batty) are being lambasted for going against the spirit of the game and literally forced to apologise!

So being sneaky and backing up inspite of being warned is deemed to be within the spirit of the game, but a legally allowed dismissal is considered otherwise. Smacks of hypochrisy :rolleyes:

Need a few more balanced opinions - like this for example..

Wonder if there are any instances of "Mankading" in the Irish leagues and are the reactions similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

warned a young batsman earlier this season and his skipper who was umpiring just told him to stop backing up so far. Not sure what would have happened if I had taken the bails off though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

TheDrog wrote: »
    warned a young batsman earlier this season and his skipper who was umpiring just told him to stop backing up so far. Not sure what would have happened if I had taken the bails off though

He would have been out. They changed the rule recently (this season or last) didnt they?

Personally its never sat right with me when I see someone warn a batsman like that (ie stop mid action). Either run them out or wait until after the delivery and have a quiet word with batsman/umpire. Tbh Im not sure why it doesnt feel right to me; just one of those things I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont understand all this nonsense with Kartik either. The batsman was out of his crease, the bowler ran him out; whats the problem? The keeper doesnt have to feel guilty apologise for stumping a batsman; how is this any different? If the laws of the game say that the bowler can run out a batsman who is backing up too far then I dont see why the spirit of the game should make the bowler feel guilty for doing so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

djimi wrote: »
    He would have been out. They changed the rule recently (this season or last) didnt they?

No law change recently on this. The crucial thing is that the bails need to be removed before the bowler enters his delivery stride - this is classified as before his back foot lands to deliver the ball.

My SOP as an umpire would be to ask the captain if he wished to uphold the appeal. If he says yes, the batsman's out and off he goes. Sentiment doesn't come into it.

As a captain, though, I've called back a player when our bowler did it - it didn't sit right with me. He went on to make 70-odd and win them the match. That didn't change how it felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

the rule change was that you no longer need to warn the batsman, you can just run him out. Would feel a bit wrong actually taking the wicket though, not sure why it is so taboo but really wouldn't feel comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

I suppose the Umpires could be tasked with disallowing a run or deducting a run when the runner is backing up too much, but if they don't have much luck spotting no-balls (as evidenced by the recent trend of checking every dismissal with the third umpire), this may be prove even more difficult and justifiably so..

TD's story brings back memories - I vaguely remember an incident where Courtney Walsh stopped and embarrassed the runner who had backed up too much by just giving him a disapproving nod and a smile.. Certainly put the runner (Saleem Jaffer?) in his place - think it was a Windies vs Pakistan ODI in WC 1987, but that led to a close win for Pakistan (Abdul Qadir was the batting hero, IIRC) and Walsh was lauded for his sportsmanship.. Looks very unlikely these days..

Not to sure if I can be chuffed for remembering something a quarter of a century ago or the sad fact that it reminds me of how old I am now :-(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

TheDrog wrote: »
    the rule change was that you no longer need to warn the batsman, you can just run him out. Would feel a bit wrong actually taking the wicket though, not sure why it is so taboo but really wouldn't feel comfortable.

Don't think so, the warning was only ever a courtesy. The rule change may have been to say it must happen before the delivery stride - I think you used to be able to go through the action, not release and then take the bails off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 travis.bickle

THIS IS THE THREAD OF THE DAY????? NO WONDER WE ARE CONSIDERED WESTBRITS!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

THIS IS THE THREAD OF THE DAY????? NO WONDER WE ARE CONSIDERED WESTBRITS!!!
    Thread of the day is chosen at random. Now let's get back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

as far as Im concerned tough your out of your crease on your merry way.

The runner is seeking to take an advantage so its fair game. If I saw a batsman do it regularly against us Id actively encourage my bowlers to look at the run out opportunity.

Its within the laws of the game if you dont want to get run out that way then dont be looking to back up so far down the pitch.

Likewise if you dont want to get stumped dont skip down the track to meet the pitch of the ball if you do you realise its at your peril no different with backing up too far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement