Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is baby registered???

Options
  • 31-08-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi,

I know I'm a bit ahead of my time but just wondering does the birth get registered in the hospital or do you have to make an appointment???

Basically I'm looking to get the baby a passport but will need birth cert for that. I planning to travel when the baby is hung to my family for a few days so just trying to find out what needs to be done.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Excellant, thank you.

Would anyone there if there is generally a long wait for your appointment???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My baby was registered in the Rotunda when he was born 2 years ago. A lady came around to the bed, took all my details. Then about 2 weeks later we got some form in the post and my husband had to go to the nearest Community Health Centre ( I think?) and sign some form, then they sent out his registration details shortly after.
    It all took a few weeks just.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Excellant, thank you.

Would anyone there if there is generally a long wait for your appointment???

It might vary from one Registrar Office to the next, maybe ask for specifics on what region you are in?

FWIW: I registered my two in Lombard St, Dublin and they didn't have appointments, it was a numbered queue system at that time. The hospital forward the birth details to them and when I arrived I checked in with the reception desk gave them the baby's name, DoB and Hospital and they gave me a number to wait in a queue. Once called it was a one on one in a small room where they go through all the details needed for a birth cert and I signed to confirm it, original birth cert was issued on the spot for a fee and then PPS number followed a few days later in the post, as did forms from the social welfare for arranging children's allowance payments.

Edit:
    I have been trying to recall the soonest it could be registered at that time, vague idea that it takes a few working days for them to submit details from the hosp to the registrar office but if you ask at the hosp you are attending they might be able to give you an idea on that aspect. I know I did my first born about 10days old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Last year I was told to give it 10 working days before arriving at the registration office. This was Dublin. If you need it before then ask them about it though because I'm sure they could put a rush through for you if you really needed it.

• Advertisement

Excellant thanks everyone. obviosuly not looking to fly starighy away but like to be organised and would need to apply for passport to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Strandlope

My daughter is now 4 1/2 months old.
    At one month old we went down to the local registrar (Drogheda) even though she was born in Dublin.
    We both went together, and you have the option of including three names and the surname (which can be either the mother or the father's). One idea is to include the e.g. mother's maiden name as the third name, as this is rarely used in practice, but is nice to have on the Birth Certificate.

The birth certificates cost around €8 each, and we got three. I am glad we did, because we had to leave one in with the passport application and it was useful to have the others as backup while this took place. The certs were printed there and then which was a nice surprise.

We made the passport application in person at Molesworth Street in Dublin. There are other threads about passports with more details, but I would just like to remind you that you need to go to a Garda station before you go to the passport office to get the application form stamped and signed, as well as the baby's photo's stamped and signed. Also, the name on the passport for the baby must match the birth certificate exactly!

I think that we could have made the application via the post office express service (guaranteed 10 days turnaround), but as the travel date was close we opted to go in person.

Either way you get a passport tracking number which you can use to see the progress of the passport on the website (www.passport.ie).

I would highly recommend getting the birth certificate and passport applications in as quickly as possible - one less thing to worry about!

Hope this helps.

O excellant, good advice to get a couple of copies!! Were be headin to drogheda too so handy to hear from someone that has been there. Did u call to make a appointment??

Must find out about passport as we are voth british, although have been here more than five years now buy just do they get a irish or british passport???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They can probably get both,talk to the embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    if its any help, when I got a british one for my son (he was travelling alone with just me so thought it less hassel if we both had a british one). I sent it by registed post to British embassy in Dublin on a Friday and it was back to me the following Friday.

I think you can also go in and get it the same day (Tuesday I think)
    Have a look here - http://britishembassyinireland.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply-a-z/ireland

• Advertisement

Thanks fran. Was your child born in ireland?

Im assuming they get a irish birth cert but as.im british i should be ablr to get them a uk passport right??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommytwotimes

We had to have a passport for our son 4 weeks after he was born as we wanted to go see his grandparents who live abroad. The hospital will notify the dept. of social welfare of his birth, they will arrange a PPS number to be sent out to you, which you will need for the passport application.
    The birth cert was done for us on Townsend Street on the day we went in to register his birth, as we needed this for the passport application also.
    You should be able to get photos for your child in any pharmacy that does passport photos.

Once submitted to the passport office, it should take about 10 -12 working days to come out to you, or you can pick it up, either way you can track the passport application on their website, which is what we did in order to be able to pick it up.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Thanks fran. Was your child born in ireland?

Im assuming they get a irish birth cert but as.im british i should be ablr to get them a uk passport right??

Hi
    my son was born in the UK, but we moved when he was 5mths old. The ferry accepted him to travel with his birth cert as long as he was travelling with a parent. I got him a passport when he was 3 so we could fly ryanair.

I am assuming your child would be able to get a british passport, but best to check with the embassy as I cant say 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Strandlope

Nicky987, we just went down there without an appointment, the queues weren't bad and the whole process took less than 30 mins :)

Advertisement