Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability appeal and college

Options
  • 31-08-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i applied for disability nearly 2 years ago now. I was rejected and it is now with the chief officer of appeals in dublin.

My disability is a mental illness and i've been receiving ongoing care and treatment. one of my counsellors suggested that i attend an educational course to help improve my social skills, social anxiety and isolation problems I have.

I have applied for a course and got word this week that I have been accepted. Does anyone know if by attending this course, it would negatively impact on my disability appeal?

Getting my disability is of utmost importance to me as leading a "normal" life is a daily struggle for me and an uphill battle. Whilst I would love to be able to engage in normal behaviour and start a college course to get me out of the house more and normalise myself in social settings, I do not want this to impact my disability appeal.

My doctors have stated that i should be awarded the disability allowance and that they would look favourably upon this, but I don't want the disability appeals section to think "oh well if he's able to go to college, he should be able to work"

I'm in knots about this, I don't know what to do.

It was a hard course to get into and I was accepted, I would love to do it, I don't want to waste a year doing nothing, on the other hand I cannot jeopardise my disability appeal.

It's making me sick thinking about it, the stress is really get to me and I have to make a decision whether to accept the course or not soon.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Your doctors will have to state in writing that college will be rehabilitative four your condition.It should not impact on your appeal if they do so.

Advertisement