Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a River Runner/Creeker

Options
  • 31-08-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a small river runner or creeker. I have a medium Pyranha Karnali but I'm not he biggest fan of it.I find it quite difficult to control and don't feel comfortable in it in even grade 3 water.

I'm around 5'10 75ish kg. With a budget of around 450-500 is there anything ye would recommend? I like the look of the Mamba or the Pyranha Ammo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Chavways wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a small river runner or creeker. I have a medium Pyranha Karnali but I'm not he biggest fan of it.I find it quite difficult to control and don't feel comfortable in it in even grade 3 water.

I'm around 5'10 75ish kg. With a budget of around 450-500 is there anything ye would recommend? I like the look of the Mamba or the Pyranha Ammo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Interesting to know why you don't feel comfortable in what is generally known to be a comfortable stable boat, is it fitted out right for you? How long have you got it?

The Ammo is a lot less stable than the Karnali or the Mamba and would be considered a river runner/playboat it has a sharp edged tail on it and a lot less volume to the Mamba or the Karnali.

Either way of you are interested in the Ammo a friend of mine is selling one in good nick, he has moved up to the Mamba.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I've a couple of second-hand Eskimo Kayaks for sale. They're good for grade 2-3 water and are €350 for boat and carbon paddle. Possibly may be a little too responsive for what you are looking for though...

Here's some photos of them: http://tinyurl.com/69r3yru

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

yomchi wrote: »
    Interesting to know why you don't feel comfortable in what is generally known to be a comfortable stable boat, is it fitted out right for you? How long have you got it?

The Ammo is a lot less stable than the Karnali or the Mamba and would be considered a river runner/playboat it has a sharp edged tail on it and a lot less volume to the Mamba or the Karnali.

Either way of you are interested in the Ammo a friend of mine is selling one in good nick, he has moved up to the Mamba.

I've had the Karnali for almost a year now.I kind of bought it spur of the moment because it was extremely cheap. It just feels too long.I have the seat moved as far forward as it will go but there's still around 40cm of space between the footblock and the front of the boat so I find it hard to guide it in the right direction.

What are your opinions of the Jackson Hero? And could I ask you what size the Ammo your friend is selling is?

I've had the Karnali for almost a year now.I kind of bought it spur of the moment because it was extremely cheap. It just feels too long.I have the seat moved as far forward as it will go but there's still around 40cm of space between the footblock and the front of the boat so I find it hard to guide it in the right direction.

What are your opinions of the Jackson Hero? And could I ask you what size the Ammo your friend is selling is?

Interesting I had the same issue with the Karnali and I got one of the more experienced paddlers to check it for me. It turns out i wasn't fit properly into it. I've padded it out and moved the footrest forward two notches, fitted more hip shims and padded out the knee braces now it fits like a glove and it moves where ever I ask it. I would suggest getting someone in the know to check that for you.

The 'Super Hero' I'm assuming you mean is a good boat. Small in length in comparison to the Karnali and a bit more volume. It surfaces like a submarine and from my experience is a good solid boat although I never paddled one for long.

Here is the Ammo I was telling you about - http://www.wwkc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6116

yomchi wrote: »
    Interesting I had the same issue with the Karnali and I got one of the more experienced paddlers to check it for me. It turns out i wasn't fit properly into it. I've padded it out and moved the footrest forward two notches, fitted more hip shims and padded out the knee braces now it fits like a glove and it moves where ever I ask it. I would suggest getting someone in the know to check that for you.

The 'Super Hero' I'm assuming you mean is a good boat. Small in length in comparison to the Karnali and a bit more volume. It surfaces like a submarine and from my experience is a good solid boat although I never paddled one for long.

Here is the Ammo I was telling you about - http://www.wwkc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6116

Unfortunately its too late to adjust the Karnali as I've already sold it :o. The Hero's look attractive but they seem very hard to get second hand.I-Canoe don't have any and wont for a few weeks at least.

The Ammo looks good but I'm at the very lower limit of the weight range for the medium so I wouldn't be too sure about it.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately its too late to adjust the Karnali as I've already sold it :o. The Hero's look attractive but they seem very hard to get second hand.I-Canoe don't have any and wont for a few weeks at least.

The Ammo looks good but I'm at the very lower limit of the weight range for the medium so I wouldn't be too sure about it.

Shop around and keep your eye on Irish Freestyle forum

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Have you considered the wave sport Diesel 75 or 80? Im 75kg and 5'7 and i have a 75. have ran everthing in it from grd 2-5. Great boat
    And one that is over looked alot as everyone wants a Burn or a Mamba or what ever else is popular at the time.

I had a spin in a large Karnali once. It felt like a nice boat but was way to big for me. It was very easy to catch waves.

I havent paddled an Ammo and I have no desire to either (a mate has one). Its pig ugly and doesnt look like it paddles that well. Very short stern on it.

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Trevor E

I am the same height and weight as you and I use to own a Ammo of all of two months, I didn't like it. I paddle a Bliss Stick Mystic at the minute and I can't fault it apart from its weight but other than that it is a cracking boat, very comfortable and stable, (primary and secondary).

Everyone has mostly negative things to say about the Ammo so I suppose I should disregard that from my search. I'm lucky I didn't buy one on a whim.:)

Everyone has mostly negative things to say about the Ammo so I suppose I should disregard that from my search. I'm lucky I didn't buy one on a whim.:)

First rule of Kayaking... never buy a boat on a whim ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement