Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job seekers benefit/allowance

Options
  • 31-08-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently living at home on job seekers benefit for the last 3 months, looking for a job but still have had no luck. I am spending a lot of money on travelling to interviews from where I am and wish to move out- if I moved from home would I be entitled to claim Job Seekers Allowance? and maybe even rent allowaance? and also how would I go about changing over? It would be a move about 2/3 hours away to a city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

1: You are on benefit for the first 12 months of unemployment. After 12 months you are means assessed to see if you qualify for allowance. As you are only 3 months unemployed, you will remain on benefit even if you move.

2: To change offices, go in to the SW office in your new area, go to the transfers section, and inform them where your claim last was but that you have moved to their area and need to transfer the claim to their office. They will require proof of your new address, such as a utility bill in your name or your lease agreement. However this may cause your benefit to be stopped temporarily as the claim is transferred between offices. In this case you need to go to the community welfare officer (CWO) in your new area, to request an emergency supplementary payment while it's being sorted.

3: The CWO also handles rent allowance. They will advise you on what they require. But be advised, from what I hear, this can take some time to come through and you are also limiting yourself in what accommodation that you can go for as some places won't accept rent allowance.

Being honest it's an awful lot of hassle. Unless things are going badly between you and your parents, I really would advise staying put until you get a job. Best of luck in your search!

Advertisement