Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt Funded Fees Query

Options
  • 31-08-2012 4:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

I was offered a course that does not interest me particularly but as I have no other options after the second round, I figure I may as well try it out.

But, I gather that if I do the first year of this course and then switch, I will have to pay full fees for the first year of whatever course I might do next year.
    So I was wondering would it be possible for me to try the course for a few weeks without losing the right for the government to cover the first year of my fees in whatever course I might choose to do next year instead? In other words, do the government only pay their portion after I've paid the registration fee, or are the obligated to pay the college as I will have taken up a space on the course?

Thank you for your assistance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

If you "try it out" for the first few weeks then you will have taken a place in that course. The government pays your tuition to the college in 2 installments, the first in September and the second in January.
    If you were to try it out and drop out before Christmas, and then start a new course next year, you'd have to pay the fee for your 1st term of your new course but from your 2nd term onwards you would qualify for free fees.

So basically if the tuition fee for your new course is €6000 for the year, you'd have to pay €3000 (for the first term, on top of your student contribution) and then that's it. The government would cover your second term tuition fee and the following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There are still different college places available if you apply directly to colleges

https://www.labour.ie/press/listing/13463387608075296.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

If you drop out of a course before the end of October, you won't have to pay fees for year 1 of a new course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bumblebee Man

Similar query here.

I dropped out of a course after 2.5 years. I know I'll have to pay 2.5 years worth of full fees. The tuition for the course is ~€6,700. Is the rehistration of €2,288 included in this or is it added on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Added on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bumblebee Man

I got official confirmation from DCU. I'm not sure what way they display their fees but €6,700 is everything I've to pay! :)

Advertisement